Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi all,
    In my normal workflow I I use Xara on all my design work and thereafter export the illustration into for example Photoshop...
    Now there is a very anoying thing concerning
    the result of the export when Xara for some strange reason always cuts a piece of the eps on the right side, try it yourself!
    This can of course be fixed by placing a rectangle under the illustration before you export it but this means some extra work having to mask it off in photoshop etc.
    Now is there anyone with the same experience or even better with a solution????

Best regards / Roland Aalto Pixdesign Stockholm
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xara2eps_cuts.gif 
Views:	374 
Size:	6.6 KB 
ID:	17509  

Hi all,
    In my normal workflow I I use Xara on all my design work and thereafter export the illustration into for example Photoshop...
    Now there is a very anoying thing concerning
    the result of the export when Xara for some strange reason always cuts a piece of the eps on the right side, try it yourself!
    This can of course be fixed by placing a rectangle under the illustration before you export it but this means some extra work having to mask it off in photoshop etc.
    Now is there anyone with the same experience or even better with a solution????

Best regards / Roland Aalto Pixdesign Stockholm

Hi Roland,

I can duplicate the problem, but I don't have a solution. Maybe someone more experienced will be able to help. I was experimenting importing the eps into Photoshop 7. I used convert text to curves and another time I converted the text to shapes before exporting. Both experienced the same clipping on the right when opened by Photoshop.

Name:	abcd.gif 
Views:	340 
Size:	2.4 KB 
ID:	6445  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I export to AI then to PSD... Works fine, just have to size the drawing for 72 DPI before I export...

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Roland,

I don't use the export function at all, I just print it to file with the Linotronic driver to generate an *.eps file. Import into Photopaint is smooth with a transparent background. Printing to an *.eps file is always safer and produces better results - at least this is my personal experience.

Name:	eps-clipping01.jpg 
Views:	333 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	17960  
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Rolando...

This is the oldest story on the Earth http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif)

I bet don't you use POINTS as your "unit" in drawing. If you change yours unit from whatever to points and see the fractional part in sizes (for example 256,5 pt), then Xara (and many other programs) should approximate the size. Since points are standard measurement in polygraphy, you have to keep your extreme sizes as whole number (integer).

I repeated your "bug", and also avoid it by making the extreme sizes as integer number.

I am not very good in English to explain it correctly here, but I hope it will make sence to you. In other words, keep your sizes integer (256,0 pt for example, not 256,5 pt).
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Hmm... After several attemptions I found that Xara requires not only the integer numbers for the overall dimensions of illustration. Result depends on where is the "origin point" of illustration on the grid. And I found that to avoid any mistakes, we should place some rectangle (for example) under the illustration.
    Lead designer,
    MichelMour LLC

Hi Alex,

That sounds logical. jpgs pad and eps truncates fractions of a pixel.

FYI:

I had similar issues a few days ago when exporting with CDraw too.

JRayner:
    I never realized "jpgs pad and eps truncates fractions of a pixel". Thanks

Alex bozhenov:

When you say the "origin point" of the illustration, do you mean:

1. The Page's origin of the illustration?

or

2. The origin of the spread (all objects) or selection bounds of the the selected objects?
    If #2 would the origin of the selection be considered as the bottom-left corner of the bounds?

Or am I missing the point the of your explanation?

Regards, John