Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Can anybody tell me what the "ArtWorks" product is that qualifies for the $69USD upgrade price to XaraX?

The only mention of it that I can find is at the pricing page of:
    http://www.xara.com/products/xarax/buy.asp

Wise men still seek Him.

Can anybody tell me what the "ArtWorks" product is that qualifies for the $69USD upgrade price to XaraX?

The only mention of it that I can find is at the pricing page of:
    http://www.xara.com/products/xarax/buy.asp

Wise men still seek Him.

Artworks was the vector packages on which Xara was based. Computers Concepts (Xara) released it for the Acorn Archimedes computers around 1992. It offered many of the features you now see in Xara.

Artworks is a vector art program written in the early 90's for the Acorn Archimedies computers running RISC OS.

You've probably heard of Acorn computers, they were widely used in schools, and users of them had (those like me still have) [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] feelings towards their computers rather like Xara users have towards their software.

Artworks was The Program to have if you had an Acorn and wanted to do vector art, and there was little or no competition. With no-where else to go, and dwindling numbers of users on the Acorn platform, its developers Computer Concepts began porting Artworks to the Windows platform.

Since RISC OS had been a stable 32-bit operating system since 1988 (? not sure of the date), and Computer Concepts had written software for it for a long time, they were well placed for writing something way more advanced than any PC-reared 32-bit programmers could even fantasise about.

That was the birth of Xara Studio, and Computer Concepts spawned the Xara brand because there was already a Computer Concepts in the US or something. It was developed as Camelot, I remember it was referred to as Artworks for Windows, but I don't know if that was a name or a description.

Don't know if Camelot was ever going to be it's actual name, or just code name, but after the UK's National Lottery contract was awarded to a consortium called Camelot it wouldn't have made sense even if that was the plan.

So XaraStudio was released, and kicked serious ass, and I guess a scared Corel bought up the marketing rights so that they could sit on them and buy themselves some time to catch up. Probably not disimilar to Oil companies buying up patents for cars that run on sugar - the ideas get a bit of a fanfare, get bought up, and never get seen again.

That gave is CorelXara, and I guess the rest is history.

See Computer Concept's pages on Artworks at http://www.cconcepts.co.uk/products/artworks.htm

ArtWorks was fantastic. I still use it a lot; it's no Xara, but it's still miles ahead of any other vector package for speed and usability. You can take your 'Corel DRAW!!!!!! 26 FoR WIDNOWS 200' and stick it up your bum. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

The upgrade price to Xara X being valid for ArtWorks is outrageously generous in my opinion. Maybe they're just trying to make up for the pricey ArtWorks 1.5 upgrade!