Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to forums and Xara

Two questions!!!!: (1) how does one ask a question on talkgraphics?
    (2) why can't i open my saved xara work with windows and how do I send my xara creations to someone when they don't have xara? How do they open a xara file when my own windows cannot open it!!!!!!

Default Re: New to forums and Xara

Welcome to Talkgraphics sylvan,

I have moved you post to a new thread, best not to hijack current threads with unrelated questions.

[1] To ask a question at TG please select the relevant forum for the topic of your question.

[2] .xar files are opened in Windows by Xara Xtreme.
    If you have saved your Xara Xtreme work as .xar (which you shoud be) - you should have no problem.
    If you want to share your work with someone who doesn't have Xara Xtreme, you can export your work as PDF or as a bitmap such as JPG or PNG.

Welcome to TalkGraphics Sylvan.

Welcome to Talkgraphics sylvan,
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thumbs up Re: New to forums and Xara

Nice to have you here.

Thumbs down open xara svg file with windows

After making an animation and exporting it to my documents in windows vista, I cannot open that file with windows!!! What are the simple steps that will allow me to do that? If I can't open the svg animation that I made, neither can my email recipients!! In other words it makes it completely worthless!!! Can anyone help?

Default Re: open xara svg file with windows

As far as i know Xtreme can't export animated SVG so you should save it as Flash SWF or GIF instead. To open SVG file you need some SVG viewer like Opera or Firefox browser for example, there is no SVG viewer included in Windows.

Sylvan I have merged your new thread with your previous thread as they appear to be closely related.

It seems to me that you are making things hard for yourself by selecting the wrong file types.

Please read the advise given in this thread and try using file types that can be shared with your friends.

Remember that Windows can only open files of a certain type (identified by the three letter extension, eg; .svg) when that type is associated to an installed program which has import filters to handle it. Natively Windows is limited to common bitmaps and simple text files, rich text files for Wordpad and html for IE - almost every other type requires a specific program.

Info Re: New to forums and Xara

thanks for the warm welcome to xara talkgraphics. I've exported my files using the standard windows ways, eg. gif. But after making an icon which I entered into the competition, I simply wanted to send it to my sisters to see. Now I understand that I cannot export svg animations. It is a shame as the svg animation is so much superior to the gif version. I'll experiment and if I can install something that will work with windows and will open a xara svg animation I'll let you know. In the meantime, thanks for trying to help!

Hi sylvan,

I'll experiment and if I can install something that will work with windows and will open a xara svg animation I'll let you know
    Xara Xtreme cannot create and export .svg animations (File>>Export Animation)
    Only static .svg is possible (File>>Export)

Are you sure you don't mean .swf (flash) ??

Flash will open in browsers in any operating system provided that Adobe Flash player is installed. .swf is not a standard Windows file.