Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

"I guess every software has it's limit" - Availor

Every piece of software has it's capabilites and limitations. Plotted out you have an envelop. Xara has an extreme envelope. Other major drawing programs have a very small envelop. James runs his machine on the edge to begin with, so he will naturely get a crash more often than the rest of us.

james... What are your specs. I have seen AMDs outpreform Intels more often than not. The next time you upgrade, think about an AMD. They provide great bang for the buck. I have a Sony designed P4 at work for video, but my emachine with an AMD inside runs circles around it. Video editing is very close to pushing xara to it limits. You might want to think about it.

I run on a AMD 64 3,200+ with 1 Gig of Ram, a nice serial S-ATA 16Mg Cache Maxtor HDD and it's all on an Asus main board - Asus the only company to go for. So my spec is pretty hardcore - but there again so am I. I know for a fact that developers step outside the Windows API Kernal - graphics software developers more than any other - so the problem is all the apps making none standard calls all the time - I know this.

Not once have I said I didn't understand the technicalities of Windows, App development or hardware issues.

I was just looking for a solution to the Autosave which I was kindly provided with.

Just because am I am newbie to writing on this board doesn't mean that I don't know all these issues with PC (and Mac for that matter).

Just for you information the first PC I bought with my own money in 1991 was an AMD 386DX because they were doing a 40MHz version which Intel was not - there fastest was a 33MHz and I couldn't afford a 486. Always go AMD and in this day and age I always go Asus for the Main Baord - nothing else comes close for speed and reliability. Even when I had a 1.2Ghz machine it was faster than the top Intel P4 processor speed Dell machine my mate had, which at the time was
    2.4Ghz.

I build my own PCs always have done - it's cheaper, you get what you want and it's just like lego - you just plug everything in.

Sounds like a killer lashup. You need a second computer for downloading, to work out the driver bugs. I think my wife would kill me if I had two machines up and running at the same time. This cheapee was just a temp, but it works great and runs circles around intel.

I agree with you about ASUS. They make some graeat motherboards! How many 1394 (firewire) ports you have on that thing? I think my next machine will have several external HD's running on firewire. These days you need at least 1000 Gig I think.

Been toying with the idea of getting either a 1.0TB or 1.6TB Lacie drive for a while - but I'm going to hold off for a few months I think - I want to start dropping all my DVD films on a HDD - I hate media - it sucks - especially DVD - one little scratch and good bye. I think we're in for a big jump this year at some point (max is only 400Gig at the moment) - fingers crossed.

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Bio Mass Storage with 1 TB on a PCMCIA card is about to hit the market this year. No moving parts anymore, and access/seek times almost like a RAM chip.

But who **really** needs 1 TeraByte storage except large corporations or DVD rippers...
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Ripper makes me sound like someone who breaks the law - I have over 300 original files in my collection and your forgetting about music and photos as well - Also I have 4000 albums which is about 300 gig. Also I keep all my installs on a hard drive partition and also my cubase music projects - these can be upto a gig each. It all adds up - storage is the only thing I really get excited about as it a very nice feeling having lots of space to fill.

Hello

It is possible that you have a 'BAD' font. These can really make Adobe products unstable and possibly Xarax as well.

Do Photoshop or Illustrator take a very long time to load? Load fonts in batches of 200 and see which one holds up the loading of Photoshop.

Mike Engles

Now I could go for a one terra byte drive! Two hours of captured video are 25 gig... To do any effective editing, you need more stock than what goes in the film... So the minimum space needed is 100 Gig these days. Workable room 10 times that number... aka 1 terabyte... http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Neat idea on the bad font/slow load times Mike. I will have to play around with that... Anythin to speed up the load times of adobe products.

Having 3000 fonts will make it quiet a problem trying only 200 at a time, even if its more than that.
    Apart from that... how do you come by a Tera byte HD? How much does it cost?! I have 45 GB and it's enought for me meanwhile. I always delete/burn things and then just label them using a plastic CD roller (to easier choose them). I'm not working with videos for now, also because I guess to load a 25gig movie will crash my pc, it will take hours to load it inside primier or whatever program you are using.
    I have a 2400 AMD with 256 ram.

As James said he'd spent 10k pounds on fonts... no one would ever do this in here... they all work with freehand 5 since its' cheapest.
    You will laught at the price you can get software in here (legaly)... but that is compared to the salary I guess... on the other hand buying a PC is more costly than in europe. I bought mine (without a monitor) for 500$. My friend got a laptop from the US for 150$!

James
    I don't know where you got the idea that I was being insulting to yourself. I DO read each post and have respond twice (this being the third) to this thread.
    Neither was meant to be derogative and if you re-read them I ask you to tell me where they were. The answer to your question had already been given.
    Nor am I patriotic, to either software, flag or religion. I also use my computer to earn my living, 7 days a week. I would never use any application that crashed 4 times a day and depended on an autosave feature. Using any application in such a manner is counter productive.
    Egg
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host