Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tiffs won't import?

Hi all,

Probably my fault, but... When I try to import an 8bit tif, Xara (5) goes through the motions but nothing appears?
    Help!
    Fraser

Default Re: Tiffs won't import?

Welcome to TalkGraphics Loki

What is the size of the file? And do you know in what application the TIFF was saved from?

Question Re: Tiffs won't import?

and whether for windows or MAC?
    Tony

If the file is not too big, maybe you can attach it here and we can see if we have any luck.

Hi and thanks for the replies, I would have responded sooner, but it seems I managed not to be subscribed to the thread, or the notification got nobbled by my servers Spam filter....

Anyway; The file is big, a scanned a-4 page - 25 Mb. Could this be asking too much? a Jpeg of the page imports OK. The Tif was made in Photoshop on Windows. So I completed the project using Jpegs. Then when I tried to export the now 30 page document as a Pdf, it wouldn't. So I printed it to Pdf Maker, which did. I've had problems with Pdfs before in Xara. % seems to do a good job on smaller files...maybe I'm just choking it.
    By the way, I may be a noobie on the forum, but I've been using Xara since Xara X back in the year 0. Couldn't do without it. Only thing that stops me going over to Linux.
    Fraser

Yes, Xtreme is the fast learning sprinter, the cheetah of the graphics world and works eXtremely eXellently within it's limits.
    Give it some heavyweight marathon work and you are in quicksand...

But as you say, I wouldn't/couldn't be without it either

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Yes, Xtreme is the fast learning sprinter, the cheetah of the graphics world and works eXtremely eXellently within it's limits.
    Give it some heavyweight marathon work and you are in quicksand...
    Why do people keep trying to use a sportscar to haul heavy loads? That's not what a sportscar is designed for.

Sportscars are about speed and maneuverability. Semi trucks are about hauling heavy loads. Semis may not be as fast as sportscars are (although I wouldn't want to be in front of one going downhill without its brakes on ), and they aren't particularly maneuverable, but they transport loads way more efficiently.

If you're going to haul a load, use a vehicle/application that's designed to do it.

Just seems to me that the more we try to turn Xtreme into an All Terrain Vehicle, the more we lose what we love about it.

As they say in the New Yorker Magazine, Block that metaphor.

Files can vary in size also based on compression. For example, I have a complex stereogram image, 24-bit, 10" x 8" @ 300dpi.

The file sizes are:

TIFF, no compression: 20.6 MB
    TIFF LZW Compression 9.74 MB
    JPEG 100% (no compression) 6.09 MB

If I need to send a large file to a client, I will often use the last method. A JPEG with no compression makes the smallest file size and because there is no compression, you should not have lost any of the image quality.

On the other hand, if the image is going to be edited, then TIFF with no compression is better.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    A JPEG with no compression makes the smallest file size and because there is no compression, you should not have lost any of the image quality.
    Gary, you can't even imagine how wrong you are... There is no such thing as JPEG without lossy compression. Any JPEG, with any quality set including 100% has a compression, and it is never lossles. You do lose some image quality with it.
    John.

I think Gary means 100% IQ (Image Quality). Everyone knows that JPG is lossless at any IQ. It's not productive to tell people they 'can't imagine how wrong they are'.