Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Stumped with Web Design

Having a bit of a frustrating problem. Started a web page design and saved to work on it later. Have added two photos but they will not appear in web preview mode. Same with any added text. Have tried every thing I know to do (ie grouped everything together and individually, made sure every thing is brought to the front, resaved and resaved as new again). I'm stumped. Appreciate any help.

David Hedrick
    Hedrick Design
    Xara Pro 4
    Xara Pro 5
    Web Designer
    Chief Architect X2

Default Re: Stumped with Web Design

Hi David,
    Welcome to the Forums.

To be of any use to you we would need to see your file (*.web or *.xar)

I'll also move this thread as you have posted in the wrong forum

Are they on the right layer Mouse off or on the Mouse over layer?

Welcome to TalkGraphics David.

Roger has nailed it. The only things that appear when the page loads are objects that are on the base layer, Layer 1 or MouseOff layer.

And Mouse over effect will only work if the button or object is linked to something.

Sorry guys for the delay in response. Will have to get use to this forum. I assumed that I would get email notices as with other forums of any replys to my query. I got it straighten out but can not tell you why.

I was working on a new web page for my kitchen and bath site. I had done a couple of others I was not satisfied with. I had the header, logo, buttons and one main photo when I set it aside. When I came back later to work on it, I added some additional photos and some text (all on the base layer) but they all refused to show up in the preview mode.

This morning, before heading to a job site, I tried it again. No change. However I moved the photos to a different place, 'arrainged' them to the back of the page, then 'arrainged' them back to the front again. This time they appeared in the preview mode. Go figure!!!

By the way, I would have put this in the Web Designer/Xtreme forum if I could have found it. What am I missing??

Also, should I not expect to get email notices from replys to a thread? Or am I missing something here also??

DH

DH to receive an email notification you will need to subscribe to the thread.

This is enabled beneath the post window in the 'Additional Options' block.

See screenshot attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	subscribe.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	10.9 KB 
ID:	65184  

Still having the same problem regardless of the file type (it is saved in both .web and .xar format). Typed some text just to check it out and again will not show up in preview mode no matter the file type or whatever I do. I must be missing something.

I will have to deal with this later as have some other pressing details to take care of for now.

David Hedrick
    Hedrick Design

David if you attach either the .web or the .xar we can provide some help, otherwise we are simply shooting into the dark without any chance of hitting the target.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Hatrak View Post
    Still having the same problem regardless of the file type (it is saved in both .web and .xar format).
    FYI: *.web and *.xar are internally identical formats.

As Roger and Gary have pointed out, if your text and objects are on the wrong layer, they will not show up in a preview.

Also, even if they are in the mouseoff layer but they are not on page 1, they will still not show up in preview mode unless you provide a link to page 2 (or whichever page you have your text and objects).

As requested by both myself and Bill - please attach your *.web or *.xar file so we can take a look, otherwise we may be just wasting your time.

OK. Let's see if I can do this. At this point, attachment 'a' is what it should be. Attachment 'b' is what is displayed in preview mode.

Now, cause I am one who learns on the go, let me give the history of this as that may help as to why the problem (assuming I should probably be doing something different).

First, I set the page size. Then I imported from Photoshop the background page with the header and logo. Then I imported the buttons from the Design Gallery, added some text in the header bar, and then the larger picture. No problem at that point. Everything worked fine and saved it.

Later when I came back to work on this some more is when I began having the problems. The 2 smaller pictures at the bottom where originally at the side. It wasn't until I moved them to the bottom that they showed up in preview mode and that after I went thru the 'arrainging' mentioned before. Anything more that I add now, as in attachment 'a', doesn't show up in preview mode.

I haven't yet started on any other pages yet.

I'm stumped. But that's nothing out of the ordinary.

Thanks all for your input.

David Hedrick
    Hedrick Design
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DK export a (2).jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	65185   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DK export  b (2).jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	65186