Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Mould tool giving jaggy edges on bitmap fills

Alexander, I'd also believe the final outcome is very dependant on the quality of the original photograph. If your using a fairly low quality jpg to start with the resultant moulds going to be crap.
    I agree with your point re the rectangle Tony, with photographs the image quality matters a lot. You rarely get straight lines of exactly the same colour in a photograph. Here's comparison moulds side by side. I've flipped the 96dpi one so you see a direct comparison.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	234.1 KB 
ID:	65084  
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 23 August 2009 at 02:04 PM.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg: Sorry, it seems you are confusing "image quality" with "oversampling". You don't increase the image's quality at all by upsampling it to 600 dpi, you just - well - upsample it. Then, the mould is applied. Then, the image is downsampled again to fit the view.

All this should be done by the mould tool, internally. Just like the "Liquid color" live effect, and all others doing non-colour transforms, do.
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

P.D.: Perhaps some coder (covoxer or I don't know the other's name ;-)) can shed light into the issue and indeed confirm that the Mould tool is completely "Oversampling-free" ;-)
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

Alexander, I'm just making the point I made originally that you'll get far better results from the mould tool if the image is high quality, say 600dpi. Your supplied image was at 96dpi and the results you were achieving with the mould tool were poor. By temp creating a 600 dpi image from it the mould tool result was much better. So the point I'm making is the results are dependent on the quality (resolution) of your original image. Whether I manually oversampled the image is neither here nor there, it works
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

You're absolutely right

The "Create bitmap copy" solution is the easiest. Thanks to all posters!
    Alexander Ewering
    instinctive mediaworks

http://img697.imageshack.us/img697/2618/100x.png

This is a quick throw-together of a phone (found on the web) with my actual wallpaper on it. Of course to simulate this appearance, I had to take the icons from the original and recreate the semi-transparent areas, and overlay them to my wallpaper image. Yeah - child's play, simple stuff.

So the partly rotated perspective required the mould tool be used. Well, great, except the original image IS pretty small, only the size of the phone resolution. However, I can probably find a high res original and try using that to cheat the perspective, but that wont help the icon resolution which came from the phone image, which is also lower res.

Anyway, that's when I went hunting for a fix and I will try the suggestions, and if all else fails, externals will be used. *sigh* I hate that this issue exists though.
    Yes, yes, and what if the core is made of CHEESE?