Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: windows update

Default windows update

I can't believe this stupid thing automatically shuts down my pc - I didn't even have time to think why Xara was asking me whether I wanted to save my work before it completely rebooted my machine and I lost it all. Is there any way of getting this back? Spent the last few hours up intending to crack this tonight and now I'm back to square one.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 18 August 2009 at 02:36 AM. Reason: removed profanity

Default Re: windows update

Forced reboots after an important Windows update are a pain I agree - however an alert box does appear to the bottom right of the screen which allows you to postpone the event, though I have missed it on occasion when I'm not actually there to see it within the ten minutes it gives you.

However, if you had not saved any of the work and the PC reboots, then I'm afraid there is nothing to recover.

PS: We must remember to blame Steve Ballmer now that Bill is retired

sorry to hear of your loss, it happened to me once.
    you may not be able to get your unsaved work back BUT yiu can stop it from happening again.
    go to controlpanel/security/windows update/change settings
    and select download updayes but let me choose whether to install them.

this will give you more control LOL
    regards Jon
    A Stranger is a Friend you have yet to meet

Happened to me two weeks ago and yes I missed the balloon at the bottom. In all I lost about 3 hours work between AI & XPro but recovered the work that I had done in Word. Why can't more programmes have the automatic recovery like Word it must be easy to implement.
    Design is thinking made visual.

A Vista issue - right?

What Jon says would be one of the first things I would do - I certainly have my XPhome set up that way

What a Ballmer!
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...