Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Running XXP on a netbook

I'm planning on buying a netbook for writing, email and blogging. Does anyone run XXP on a netbook?. I'm sure there will be limitations, but it would be great if I could do some updating of smaller websites and lite graphics work.

Tom

Default Re: Running XXP on a netbook

A lot of Netbooks run under Linux rather than Windows so this may not be too practical. If you do buy a Netbook which runs under Windows (and has enough storage for the program and enough resources for it to run) then your main problem will be the lack of a CD drive. To get round this you could use either a usb drive or transfer everything to a memory stick and install from that.

Most netbooks seem to have 1.6 GHz, 1-2 GB ram and 160 GB HDD and run XP. On paper it looks like it will work.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    To get round this you could use either a usb drive or transfer everything to a memory stick and install from that.
    If you want to install Xara on a netbook, you're probably going to require the external USB drive to do it (depending on what version you're using).

I don't know about version 5.1 (I'm still waiting for my disk to arrive), but version 4 has a copy protected disk that requires the disk to be in the drive and accessible the first time that you run it (See here). Possibly version 5 doesn't do this since it also has a copy protection scheme that stops you from installing it on too many computers, but someone with the disk will have to answer that part.

If you're using WD, then you should be ok since as far as i know that's a download only program.
    This signature would be seven words long if it was six words shorter.

Tested: Xtreme 5 can be copied to a USB Flash drive and installed onto your Netbook.

Tested: You can also create a backup CD which in the event of loosing or damaging the original disc, you can reinstall from.
    You will of course need your license number.

Untested: In view of the above success, I would assume that installing across a network would now be no problem.

Would that meet the terms and conditions if it ran over a network, Steve?
    Design is thinking made visual.

By 'installing across a network' I'm meaning that the CDROM is placed into the (network shared) optical drive of one machine on the network and accessed by another which has no optical drive for the purpose of installing the software to that machine.