Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Saving .xar files for legacy versions of Xara

I sent a sample .XAR file (imported from Ai8 and saved in XX5) to one of my end users, who was not able to open it.

I've already confirmed that the file opens in XX1, and am waiting to hear back on what version of Xara this user has, but I strongly suspect many of the potential users have old versions of the software that predate Xara Xtreme 1. These are cave maps that need to remain editable in older versions of Xara; the only reason I'm switching from Illustrator is that my target audience is using Xara.

Regardless, in most (all?) programs there is a way to save files in a "legacy" format so older versions of the program can open them. For example, Illustrator CS3 allows me to save as the following .AI formats: AiCS3, AiCS2, AiCS1, Ai10, Ai8, Ai3, and "Japanese Ai3."

However, when I go to save .XAR files, there is no option. It seems, to XX5, an .XAR file is an .XAR file. Is there a way to specify a legacy version of the .XAR for maximum backward-compatibility, or am I just SOL here? It's a major problem.

Default Re: Saving .xar files for legacy versions of Xara

Older versions of Xara's vector application can open files saved with newer versions. Any new features will be ignored and a message to that effect is displayed when opening the file.

The attached image shows the message I received when using Xtreme 3.2.4 to open a file created in Xtreme 5.1 that includes an extruded object. After clicking the OK button all objects that were not extruded were intact. Extruded objects were simply ignored.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	warning-msg.gif 
Views:	101 
Size:	8.1 KB 
ID:	64743  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Saving .xar files for legacy versions of Xara

If you have already confirmed it opens in Xara X¹ - why not re save from Xara X¹ and sent them that file?

The only earlier version than Xara X¹ would be Xara X (2000) or CorelXARA (1995-200)