Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default coreldraw x4 to save in v7 format

Hi guys, need a hand here. I'm xara user as you may see from my past posting history.

I'm asked to provide a file in corel format, but xara's inbuilt cmx simply can't export correctly, so I'm forced into installing coreldraw x4 trial and reassembling the graphics/text there. The problem is, I have zero knowledge about coreldraw, so I'm stuck at the formatting trouble of the text in x4.

The printers here ask for the cdr file to be in version 7 and version 7 only. I can manage to get the text look okish and save the work in higher version, but when it's exported into version 7, the text got screwed up all the time.

Can someone give me a pointer? Is it a known bug of X4 when exporting in the v7 format?
    IP

Default Re: coreldraw x4 to save in v7 format

Try exporting from Xtreme as PDF.
    Open it in CorelDraw X4 and export as .cdr version 7

Attached is a .cdr version 7 file done exactly this way though I only have CorelDRAW X3 not X4.
    IP

Wall,
    the only tip I can think of, is to convert all the text to curves in the X4 document/s and then save to a version 7 file. (Edit menu>select all text>Control+Q) I did try and open Sledger's X3 file but for some reason it just hangs.
    IP

Yeh - it seems X3 can't open v7 files, only save to that version??
    I get 'Unsupported Version' when I try to re open it.
    I really wonder why they want such an old version? (CorelDraw version 7 was released 1997).

Wall - have you tried giving them a PDF?
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 09 August 2009 at 09:36 AM.
    IP

Version 7 • Sometimes it's because of their imagesetter or some other device that can only rip or use those old files, met an old printer the other day and only swore by corel version 8. The newer versions tend to push the postscript or something up too far Who knows, maybe a lucky number.
    IP

@sledger: Though a bit tricky, but it (exporting pdf from xara into X4) actually worked! thank you!

@coza: Many local printers here still only accept older versions of corel format. Like you said, probably due to the hardware devices they use...I want to keep the text as text instead of curves, that's why I was fighting with text part...
    Last edited by wall; 09 August 2009 at 11:47 AM.
    IP

Excellent. Maybe I chose a more/too complicated drawing+text (it was a .xar gallery file)
    IP