Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Page names, links, keywords all missing

I have an 8 page website done with XWD4 last updated 7/19/09. I now use XX5 and previously XWD5. I just opened it with both XX5 (and tried XWD5 also) to do some edits and noticed the page names are missing, keywords missing, and all the navigation links don't work (no page file names). All images and layout are there. The published site is fine but I can't make any changes without re-doing the missing info (all 8 pages). Any ideas what may have happened or how I can retrieve the missing info? I have no backups as this was before I started using the backup tweak.

Default Re: Page names, links, keywords all missing

I'm not quite sure what do you mean by XWD4? Is it Xtreme4 or WebDesigner5?
    John.

Covoxer,
    I'm not sure of the timeline, but I used a version of WebDesigner previous to my current version 5.0.1. I now use XX5, ver5.1.1.9166 exclusively. But the last time I edited the site on 7/19/09 with XWD5.0.1 (it then had a .web extension, not a .xar before I began using XX5) was to add a placeholder for a favicon and it uploaded OK then, all links and file names intact. I use a separate FTP program to upload. Does that help?

Yes, so that was a WD.
    This problem sounds rather weird. There should be no compatibility issues like this. Looks like the file is corrupted. But I can't tell anything for sure without seeing the file.
    John.

covoxer,
    I just uploaded all the files into another folder to test it and all the links work and file names are correct. For some reason both XX5 and XWD aren't showing me that info when I open the file. If I click on the "export and preview website" button, the index.htm page opens but if I click on any link I get a runtime error and blanks everywhere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture030.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	16.7 KB 
ID:	64542
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 05 August 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Have you used any tweaks/snippets in that design?
    John.

No. But here's something else. There is about an extra 50 layers that I didn't make, and don't appear to do anything. My original layers are image1 thru image8. All the pages have the extra layers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capture031.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	64543
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 05 August 2009 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Removed hotlinked image - attached to post

This is weird.
    If I could take a look at the file, perhaps I could figure out more.
    John.

How do I change the page name from Index to something else. When I do change it (under web prop - page) it doesnt seem to post online... what am I doing wrong.

The page that opens when somebody visits your site must have a file name "index.htm" or "index.html". If you don't have such file on your server, your site will not be opened.
    However, if you want to change page title (which appears on the browser's title bar for example), you can do so in the Page title field on the Page tab of the Web properties dialog.
    John.