Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: zero line width

Default zero line width

hands up all those who have ever set line width to '0' instead of 'none'

they are not the same [see line > width in xtreme help], as you might already know

when I imported some AI vector shapes from Expression 3 into xtreme, I was bemused to find that they would not reduce or zoom out properly, despite having scale line width enabled

after a bit of head scratching I noticed the '0pix' setting - changed it to 'none' - problem solved

quick look in the help - '0pix' is a special case: "This draws a line one device-pixel wide" according to the help files

so no matter what you do it is always a [non anti aliased] 1 pix line wide on the monitor

I think I knew this once a long time ago, but I think that a lot these days
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pix0.png 
Views:	178 
Size:	22.9 KB 
ID:	64533  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Default Re: zero line width

Yes, not widely known Steve - I stumbled across it by accident too.

Gerry Isles from Xara mentioned this sometime ago.

interesting - presumably when Gerry [post #11] is talking about setting "the line width to zero which will force the narrowest possible line width" he is talking about a minimum for vinyl cutting / printing?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thumbs up Re: zero line width

Steve (and Steve),

I use this feature ALL the time. Being able to set the line width to zero (0pix) is an indispensable tool available within Xara Xtreme & Web Designer. I, too, accidentally discovered the ability to set the line width to zero when I typo'ed an entry into the 'Set line width' entry box and too hastily tried to correct it. Unlike you, I assumed that other users already knew of it.

For others that don't or didn't know of this 'feature', Handrawn has provided you with an invaluable tip. Give it a try.

Learn it, use it, love it,
    Harry

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    interesting - presumably when Gerry [post #11] is talking about setting "the line width to zero which will force the narrowest possible line width" he is talking about a minimum for vinyl cutting / printing?
    Yes. It uses the minimum width available on the output device. So if it is a screen, it's 1 px. If it is a printer, it will be the narrowest line it can print.
    John.

@COVOXER - thanks John

@HAYTAY - Harry, I was sure that Xara would have included this for good reason, so good to know it is indeed useful

As it provided me with a five-minute-puzzle I thought I'd post it up in case it confused anyone else, and to clarify its use
    Nothing lasts forever...