Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Blender News - Version 2.5 - October 09

Great news for Blender users :

"Blender 2.5 'unveiled' at SIGGRAPH, expected release date announced!

New Release offers a new interface with full customization and a completely revamped animation system

Blender 2.5 project: a fully customizable interface layout system, with advanced access to all tools and options Blender offers.
    A new core architecture for Blender. The key changes involve a high level of configurability of the interface and the ways tools are used, and a further elaboration of the original non-overlapping and non-blocking parallel working UI system. All of the interface elements in Blender are now defined using a scriptable layout engine, with scripted access to all of the data Blender provides. Keyboard layouts for hot keys and user input can be changed on the fly, including definition of macros, and reapplying tools with adjusted settings. Blender 2.50 also provides a upgraded animation system. Now every setting and option can be animated via function curves, higher level actions, the non-linear animation mixer, or scripting.

Blender Foundation is also preparing the third Open Movie project, "Durian", which will explore epic action content in 4k digital cinema. Six artists and two developers will work in the studio of Blender Institute, for a period of 6-8 months. A key goal of Durian is to ensure that Blender 2.5 series is production ready.

The first of the official 2.5 versions will be released in October, during the 8th annual Blender Conference in Amsterdam. The Blender team plans to give regular updates, with the 2.5 project to be completed with the Durian film premiere in 2nd quarter 2010."

You can also check previews of development on Vimeo :

tour no. 8 : http://vimeo.com/5888133
    tour no. 7 : http://vimeo.com/5425219
    tour no. 6 : http://vimeo.com/4828703
    tour no. 5 : http://vimeo.com/4268068
    Explore the possibilities ! Blender 3D !

Question Re: Blender News - Version 2.5 - October 09

I am totally new to 3D graphics...as in... haven't ever done it. I am about to download a program to begin learning with tutorials, etc. I have a childrens book that I wrote that I want to animate. I don't understand any of the "language" referring to any of the programs... so talk to me like I'm 10... I found 3Dmagix online and was going to get it ... when I went to reviews ...someone said it was actually blender that someone went off the reservation with...so... for someone who learns quickly but knows nothing... is blender what I want? I would really appreciate some advice from someone who is familiar with whats out there. thanks.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Default Re: need direction

I'd suggest trying Google Sketchup. It has a free version that is relatively easy to learn. It has a simple interface that is a joy to use.

Regards, Ross

Default Re: Blender News - Version 2.5 - October 09

@ Song
    I agree with Ross. Blender has a step learning curve. Not that you shouldn't explore Blender in the future, it's still my favorite 3D program.

It all depends ont what you want to do (time frame, level of animation, design of model, etc.). If you decide to go with Blender, I would suggest the DVD Character animation sold in the Blender e-shop.

http://www.blender3d.org/e-shop/prod...roducts_id=113

It's a great ressource for learning how to animate with Blender. There's a lot of documentation (online manuel, wiki site etc) also available to learn Blender.

The 2.5 version will come out at the end of October and it's totally different from the 2.49b version. There will be new tutorials, older one will be adapted.

Check out Blender if you have the time...

Song,
    That interface sure looks like Blender to me.
    So... between the two I would go with Blender, just be aware that all 3D software like that has a very high learning curve. As for Sketchup I don't know, it's a very nice and easy to use program but what I don't know is if it will give you the 3D animation tools you want, certainly not many of the animation tools shown in the 3Dmagix videos. Since Blender and Google Sketchup are both free, why not try both and see which one fills your needs. As for me, XaraX, X3D, and sometimes a bitmap editor, more than fill my needs.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

There is also a 2D program that works like 3D program. Its called Anime Studio and it allows you to "rig" your drawings with "bones" and then animate it just like the 3D programs. Flash CS 4 introduced bones too to its toolset. It would be sort of an intermediate step between 2D and 3D.

http://www.gryllus.net/Blender/3D.html

I just started learning blender this is a good site

Yep, it is a good site.
    ther's also http://blenderunderground.com/ videos are great !.

The 2.5 Beta version is very near to be ready to be available to download. Builds are compiled regulary and you can download them at www.GraphicAll.org

After choosing your OS, select BF-Blender Foundation to get the build that is part of the branch (that will become the officail version later).

Mind you that the 2.5 builds are totally diiferent (GUI wise) than 2.49b or previous versions.

Happy Blending.

Dan

I hope this winter to get more time to learn blender
    just had to install a new new computer here and before everything working again it took some time and now just hoping mine is going on for some months
    I wil look at the sites you gave
    the blender workspace take some time to learn
    when I have problems I come here to ask for help
    I always first try to find myself even if it takes some time
    greetings

back into blender
    I saw some of the videos of the new version it will look totally different
    I will stick some time to version 2.49 there are a lot of tutorials available
    I was able to get through the snowman tutorial of gryllus I printed the tutorial and did a first animation not all like it should be and I needed some attempts but it is a start
    I now use the F12 key regularly and divide my workspace into 2 to get a camera view and use the right click to select (someone gave me the hint )
    the blenderunderground is great
    greetings