Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

This is my first time of getting into this 3d thing. I'd been modelling a scene for 2days in 3dmax 5. And while working, all of a sudden someone switched on a 5 h.p machine in my apartment and my PC went off.

And that was the end of the file. No auto backup, no recovery nothing. When opening it reads: "file failure...." whatever. Is'nt there anyway i can recover my max file.

I'm so piss#d off by now. Maybe i switch to Maya and Lighwave do the samething happen there?
    Same Me, New Visions

This is my first time of getting into this 3d thing. I'd been modelling a scene for 2days in 3dmax 5. And while working, all of a sudden someone switched on a 5 h.p machine in my apartment and my PC went off.

And that was the end of the file. No auto backup, no recovery nothing. When opening it reads: "file failure...." whatever. Is'nt there anyway i can recover my max file.

I'm so piss#d off by now. Maybe i switch to Maya and Lighwave do the samething happen there?
    Same Me, New Visions

Hi Aladelola,

Sorry to hear about the file problem. I'm not familiar with 3dMax or how it's files are stored.

Posting to bump this back to the top so maybe someone that can help will see it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Good idea re bumping Bill

Sorry to hear about your 3d woes there Aladelola... hopefully someone might have a good idea for you....

ya know... it is always a good idea to manualy save as you go along, and do save as, for those incrimental saves when changing somthing beyond the original takes...

Maybe you should check the preferences settings and find out if it has a default autosave function and where the files are placed? Don't have 3dMax, but that would be the logical thing to do.

Thanks everybody. I got around this problem. I chewcked out my preferences and told 3dmax to save my files incrementally. So i can have copies of 'em on my system.

But later got tired of having many duplicates and stopped it. Went back to the autobackup stuff but choose making extra backups. thanks
    Same Me, New Visions