Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Giving Website Image Filenames NOT Xara Image Filenames

Have spent a couple of hrs. going thru Xara Web Designer help and searching the forums and cannot find an answer to this question:

How do you get Xara to retain the image filenames you have assigned images AND saved in the index_htm_files folder when you export your website?

In ongoing research on SEO, it seems the search engines are really getting into indexing images, which ties to anyone with image intense sites, and how the pages are indexed. They want VERY detailed image filenames, like: my-new-black-kitten.png

This doesn't work well with Xara naming image files 01.png, 02.png, etc. Went thru my site and gave the names for all the images, exported all to the correct folder but when exported the site, all the images were given Xara filenames and placed in the code. Is there any solution to this?

Thanks for any help. Seems like "should" be able to do this?? Know I can replace filenames in each page of the code, but geesh, don't want to go that route unless absolutely no alternative!

Pixelart

Default Re: Giving Website Image Filenames NOT Xara Image Filenames

This has come up many times, you can find other threads discussing this if you use the forum search.

Currently the only way to retain image file names is to use a placeholder for your named images.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	placeholder-for-named-jpg.png 
Views:	249 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	64277

XWD and Xtreme will then copy the 'name.jpg' to the index_htm_files folder on export.

Thank you Sledger, I did do searches, but evidently did not use the correct search strings.

Thank you and did what you advised and it is working. I put the images in the index_htm_files; using the Xara named files used the placeholder function to replace with the images I named. However, when I export the website it is making an additional folder to the: index_htm_files and creating a _web_files folder, putting the images with the image names I want to use in this folder also. The same files are also in the index_htm_files. Everything is working OK, so guess this is fine and I just need to upload both folders to server, right?

Again, thank you.

Pixelart

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelart View Post
    OK, so guess this is fine and I just need to upload both folders to server, right?
    The second folder is XWD's cache folder for files added in this way (replace with graphic file/replace with flash) so that they are always available for previews and when you open the associated .web file again. You do not need to upload the cache folder.

Again, thank you Sledger. Love Xara and truly appreciate the people in this forum and your willingness to help.

Pixelart