Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: What type of tutorials do you prefer?

Voters
211. This poll is closed
  • Static web-based text and screenshot tutorials

72 34.12%
  • Video tutorial

139 65.88%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Re: What type of tutorials do you prefer?

I like both. A video overview to get an idea of what's going on and step-by-step instructions with pics to actually DO it yourself.
    it's easier to re-read a written page than to find your place in a video tutorial.
    ~ DanDaBear ~
    Some people think inside the box, Some people think outside the box, I think about the box
    IP

Default Re: What type of tutorials do you prefer?

I prefer the vids

(just lazy I guess)
    regards Jon
    A Stranger is a Friend you have yet to meet
    IP

Hmm - althought I voted for videos (which are well done by Xara) I actually prefer both for different reasons. Videos quickly show the workflow and text/static graphics allow me to move slowly and perhaps to get more detail and options.
    IP

Maybe we need another option "both"
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11
    IP

I use video tutorials for a general overview of procedures and static graphics for more detailed instruction - which I can take at my own pace.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.
    IP

The videos for ver 4 were great. People learn in different ways, I just happen to prefer 'visual'.

While we are on about videos, could we please have a depository other than YouTube ? somewhere where they are easily downloadable so that we can play then over again if need be ? Some parts of the world are still on dialup and waiting for those videos to load is excrutiating

Yvonne
    IP

Text and screenshots usually work better for me. Having the whole "timeline" in front of your eyes at once is nice thing - easily done with text, difficult with video.
    IP

As a prodominently visual person I fing reading through reams of text a bit of bind. The videos in Xara products are icing on the cake for me

Tip: To please us all why dont you put some screen shots and text in the videos so those tht want them can pause at that point...just a thought
    IP

For just learning knowledge, such as hints, tips, keyboard shortcuts, procedures, or for getting an overview of the process or of a software package, and covering a lot of ground in the most time-efficient manner, I prefer video (which is why I have a Lynda.com subscription).

But, for actually doing tutorials, working through them step by step, I think that the static format is better. Otherwise, you're just basically converting a video to static anyway as you stop and start it while working through the tutorial, n'est-ce pas? :-)

One advantage of video in this regard is that steps are seldom left out, which is distressingly not the case with static, where too often I find that the expository image has changed between instruction steps in ways that are completely unaccounted for by the instructions up to that point. You're left scratching your head, thinking, "Hmm, OK, did this, did that, I'm OK up to here, now what happened between here and here to make it look like that?" With a video you see the process occur, or the result doesn't appear on screen.

cheers,
    scott
    IP

I have voted for Static web-based text and screenshot tutorials as I am profoundly deaf and I have yet to find a video that comes with subtitles!
    IP