Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Mega problems!

Never use Word but stupidly said I would set up some templates - aaagh!!

Have set up a letterhead as a template and password protected it but when I open it as 'read only' I am still able to change the contents of the header and footer. These should be locked!

Any ideas anyone?

Mags
    IP

Hi Mags, I'm not an avid user of Word but have used it in the past.

A read only protected document will allow changes to be made but cannot be saved with the same name.

I think if you create a form you can password protect sections of the form from being modified.

The following is from Microsoft Word Help:

Ways to protect a document from unauthorized changes

Microsoft Word provides several ways to limit or restrict access to a document to protect it from unauthorized changes:

Require a password to open the document To prevent unauthorized users from opening a document at all, you can assign a password.

Require a password to modify the document To allow others to open the document but only allow authorized users to make changes to it, you can assign a password for modifying the document. If someone changes the document without the password to modify, that person can save the document only by giving it a different file name.

Recommend that others open the document as read-only You can suggest, but not require, that users open a document as read-only. If a user opens the document as read-only and then changes it, that person can save the document only by giving it a different file name.

Prevent users from changing a form To prevent unauthorized users from typing information anywhere on a form other than in designated areas, you can assign a password for changing the content of the form.

Prepare a document for review by protecting for comments and tracked changes As part of preparing a document for review, you can specify that others can change the document only by making comments or tracked changes (with revision marks), or by making comments only. For added security, you can assign a password to ensure that users don't remove this type of protection.
    IP

Thanks very much Mike - have found out that headers and footers cannot be password protected without the include of some code ?!

But am even having problems with password protecting a template that I then open as 'read only' and it is editable...mmm re-reading your post this seems to be right, is editable as long as they then save it as a different file name -aagh! Has not to be editable at all.

Why did I ever offer to do this?!!

Thanks again
    IP

Hi Mags, I am attaching a simple MS Word template, open it and see if you can edit the header or footer.

If this is what you want to do, then the following: Menu/tools/protect document/Forms: enter password.
    IP