Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing ???

Just Aint The Same

It appears that the color reduction algorithm has been changed - more versatile, I suppose; but I'll stick with the old Xara for error diffusion.
    (And I'll bet Gary will for mezzotint)

Check out the differences, they are visible.

Rgds,
    tad
    ps. Hey Egg, is that a Turner painting? Very interesting....t.

Yes Tad,
    Here's the link
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

To answer the question of the bitmaps sizes. It's all to do with the dpi of the imported bitmap. Most bitmaps import with a dpi setting of 96dpi which is the same as the default screen resolution and so you'll get get a 1:1 match. However if it's a saved with a different dpi or different dimensions (in inches) we'll show it on the page at a different size. The actual bitmap is not changed - you can see in the bitmap gallery the real pixel dimensions of any bitmap.

So if you've imported a bitmap that is 450 pixels wide and it appears to be larger on screen it's because the dpi or inch measurements (which not all bitmap formats support) is different. But if it's 450 pixels and you want it shown at exactly 1:1 at 100% then just set the width back to 450 pixels using the Selector tool and the usual size controls.

To see the dpi of any bitmap in Xara X1 just look on the status line. If it's showing 96dpi it will be showing it at 1:1 screen pixels to actual pixels, at 100%.

Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

I repeat... Just Aint The Same !!!!!!!

Thanks Charles, for the feedback.

I repeat, I will pay $$ to get the old color reduction back.
    You have the code. You can still make XPE shine with new features.
    How hard can it be to put the old (clunky) stuff back. ??!?

Rgds,
    tad
    ps. Egg !!! Interesting is not the word. MAGNIFICENT is more like it. What a painting!!!...t.

Just can't do it Tad. Or rather I'm not putting back features that don't absolutely merit the UI space. The method I describe above is a better, more consistent, more powerful and yet a simpler way (because it's using UI that already exits allowing us to cut out a whole level of menu options). So I can't justify adding menu options back that add next to nothing to the product. Yes the diffusion algorithms are very, very subtly different, but in 9 out of 10 tests the new ones are better, usually dramatically better. The 1 out of 10 where it's not (some B&W cases) are so rare that less than 1% of users would ever need it.

The best I can do is suggest that we might be able to release the code so someone else can do an XPE plug-in that uses the old colour reduction algorithms, so you'd get it back that way. Our first step is to get an XPE out there than can take add-ons, which we're working on.

Sounds like a promising solution Charles. You da man!! http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Richard

---Wolff On The Prowl---

Hi Charles!
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Charles Moir:
    Just can't do it Tad. Or rather I'm not putting back features that don't absolutely merit the UI space. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then why don't you remove 'Wizard Properties' from XaraX1???
    It's definately useless and undocumented.
    No one uses it, no one knows how and what for.
    Besides it's seems to be broken in XaraX...

And you think that wizard merits UI space more than widely used 'ColorDepth' effect?
    I just don't understand it...
    John.

I took some minutes to test the option " create bitmap copy" as suggested by Charles and a I believe it can be a good alternative, both in dithering and enlarging bitmap sizes, remember that the old method was limited to 2000 or 2500 pixels per side.

Luciano
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2_col.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	3987  

It's not the case, Luciano.
    Try to do this:
    http://covoxer.nm.ru/dither.jpg
    John.