Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Chunky 3D effect

Here's an effect I've been playing about with.

Any suggestions on how to do it more efficiently/elegantly gratefully received...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blocky3dlogo.png 
Views:	400 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	63990  
    Attached Files Attached Files

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Default Re: Chunky 3D effect

I used the shape editor tool and simply created a shape around the text then sent it to the back, grouped and blended

Name:	chunkytext.png 
Views:	314 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	63996  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt View Post
    Here's an effect I've been playing about with.

Any suggestions on how to do it more efficiently/elegantly gratefully received...
    I have this trouble alot of times. There is no easy solution in xara that doesn't involve manual fixing by deleting point by point and clean the result up.

An easy solution: Use the big brother of illustration software to do 3d manipulation and import it back into xara.

Tricky solution: Use the 3d Bevel in Xara, export the result as a massive big bitmap and then trace the result using your favourite tracer (or use the inbuilt xara tracer which won't give you good results though!), then import the trace back to xara.
    Last edited by Xcellent; 23 July 2009 at 05:11 AM.

Well, if you don't mind the perspective, the 3D tool would work the fastest. I'm fairly new to using XX, so others may be able to tell you how to do this without the foreshortening/perspective. Maybe it can be done by playing with it a little more(?). I've attached the file just for that!

I don't think it took two minutes to do this, after I found the font.

Name:	Capture 3.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	63999  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Zupdude; 23 July 2009 at 05:33 AM.
    What's the difference between an Orange? A motorcycle, because a telephone pole doesn't have any doors!

I would go the Extrude Tool/Bitmap Trace route. Quick, efficient, elegant and fully editable.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	dave space.png 
Views:	302 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	64000  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    I would go the Extrude Tool/Bitmap Trace route. Quick, efficient, elegant and fully editable.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    How did you do that Bob?
    The extrude tool I understand(I think), but I have never been able to come to turms with the Bitmap Tracer, Are you using Utilities/Bitmap trace?

And how did you get the different letter colors?
    I've been fooling around with this all morning and can't even come close.

I must be missing something because for me it is not "Quick, efficient, elegant and fully editable".
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Hi Larry, firstly when extruding the logo, make the lighting arrows 2 black and 1 white. Place them so that you have as much contrast as possible. Also toggle off the gloss effect so there are no highlights.
    If there are gaps in the extrude, make some black shapes and place them behind the extrusion.
    The resulting bitmap trace should have 1 black shape and nine white ones - all editable. you may have to ungroup and remove the white background first.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	logo.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	64020  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    Hi Larry, firstly when extruding the logo, make the lighting arrows 2 black and 1 white. Place them so that you have as much contrast as possible. Also toggle off the gloss effect so there are no highlights.
    If there are gaps in the extrude, make some black shapes and place them behind the extrusion.
    The resulting bitmap trace should have 1 black shape and nine white ones - all editable. you may have to ungroup and remove the white background first.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Thanks Bob.
    I managed to do it once, as you can see, but cannot seem to do it again.
    I cropped the origional image to get the letters, then I changed the text color to white and ungrouped, changed the individual letters then grouped and extruded. At least that is the best I can remember that I did.
    Whatever I did that time I cannot do it again.
    As you can see there some differences in the line weight around the extrude, which I also do not understand.

I have tried bitmap copy and trace but the results are so ragged that they are horrible. I'm still doing something wrong but I sure don't know what.

I don't have enough hair left to do any real hair pulling

Name:	DS.png 
Views:	234 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	64026  
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

OK problem solved. I did it again.
    And this time I know what I did.
    Edit: Thank you for the file Zupdude, that's what I needed.

Name:	DS2.png 
Views:	202 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	64041  
    Last edited by wizard509; 24 July 2009 at 02:53 AM.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

OK, what am I missing here ..... ? Why do you need the bitmap trace at all? Just type the letters - rotate to suit - extrude - remove standard bevel.

Name:	temp.png 
Views:	214 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	64042  
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.