Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Sizing in Xara xtreme driving me nuts!

hmmm i might just have to live with it, it seems no matter how i try to save the file in Infranview with 96dpi, it lightens the shade.

Oh well, thanks for all your help guys, im off to bed now and will have another look tomorrow,
    thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by aicoma View Post
    thanks for trying, but that one is still the same, ie a bit lighter than the orignal.
    Sorry - but it's no lighter at all here.

Don't forget that it's also a graduated tile. The colours left-to-right do not match.
    They might not match the rest of the banner either?

"Sorry - but it's no lighter at all here."

hmmm when i loaded on the web site it was, im a bit confused as to whats happening now !

Hi

Irfanview is a very simple and fast imagebrowser, in the last version, 4.25
    under options - settings you can adjust the gamma, which you should do.

Remind, this is not a photoshop-similar programm. To my opinion you should better use Gimp to change the settings of the images from 72 dpi to 96 dpi.

I made combinations of all kind of programms and they just happen to have their own ideas of what is the right color . . .

Regards,
    Jan

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    You can choose how Xtreme imports bitmaps in Options>>View

Set to 'Import at dpi specified in the file' See if that helps.
    Hmm - this thread is helpful for a similar problem I'm having but I don't see the radio buttons on the Utlilities > Options > View tab.

Is it not available in my version - XXPro 4?

Hi Doc,

It is there only worded a little differently.

Untick the Import JPEGs at 96dpi (1:1) to allow the import to take place at the files default dpi. See attached image.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	import.gif 
Views:	145 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	64173  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

it seems no matter how i try to save the file in Infranview with 96dpi, it lightens the shade.
    You are very likely being bitten by the dreaded gAMA chunk.

That is: some software saves PNGs with embedded gamma-curve colour correction information in an attempt to match colours over different systems. Unfortunately, operating systems commonly in use don't really do colour correction, so attempts to apply gamma in this fashion result in results which are not only wrong, but inconsistent. In particular, PNGs saved with a gAMA chunk cannot be made to match a colour set in HTML or CSS on all browsers. For the web, you should always save your PNGs without any gamma information.

Xtreme has done the right thing and saved your 'logo_PROD' without gamma. However the original image - and hence presumably all the other images which are supposed to match it - have been exported with a gAMA by some other misguided tool, and this will, in some circumstances, operating systems, settings and browsers, cause inconsistent results. For what it's worth the colours match on my current setup, but that's by pure luck.

You should go through your existing PNGs and re-export them with gamma turned off to match both the Xtreme-exported image and other colours on the page. I don't know if Irfan gives you that option; if not, I personally use GIMP. You could also do it in a batch method using something like pngcrush.

Hi Bill - and voila - thanks for the pointer.