Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Mouseover effects...where did they go?

I have expanded my website, and I love the ease in which pages can be created in XWD. However, somewhere along the line I have lost the mouseover effects on the menu tabs, both top and left side vertical menus. I used beta_page2.web from the Designs Gallery for my original template. When you mouseover the menu tabs in the original template, they change to red background from black. I have compared the original template to mine, and I can't see the difference, except I suspect it has something to do with "grouping". My tabs are linking correctly, but they remain black on mouseover.

I'm not clear on the groups and soft groups and how they work, and I believe that is where my problem lies. How can I return the red mouseover effect to mine?

File attached.

Thanks,
    Tom
    www.bishoptx100.org
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Mouseover effects...where did they go?

Sorry, tried something and it didn't work either...

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Your problem is that your .web file has no Mouse Over layer anymore. I am not sure how you managed that. Weather you deleted the layer or somehow saved the .web without saving the layer. I have exported from XXP5 to .WEB and forgotten to deselect the option for don't save invisible layers, so that might be possible. I am not sure how that could have happened (other than deleting a layer) in XWD, though.

I'm sorry but unless I am completely wrong, you may have to redo your site. Its a bummer, though cutting and pasting should be relatively easy.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Tom

Yes it looks like you deleted the mouseover layers.
    I hope you made backups!
    External drive or CD or .bak file or just a plain copy?

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    I'm sorry but unless I am completely wrong, you may have to redo your site. Its a bummer, though cutting and pasting should be relatively easy.
    Eric
    Wow, please tell me there's an easier way! I seem to be good at messing up stuff that no one can figure out how or why!

OT

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

Sorry OT,

Unless you kept an original file or a backup, you are probably in for a recreation of your site. The good news is that it doesn't look like you made too many changes to the template that you were using.

If I were you, I would just recreate the first page's navbars and title etc. Everything that repeats on each page. Then I would copy the first page as many times as you need for your various other pages and title them etc. Then I would open the version of the website that you do have, and copy and paste the content from the old to the new. You might also want to look at the page properties of the old website (height and width) and transfer that to the new website.

I know that stinks, but I can't see much of a way around it.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

No, you don't have to start over. Simply repair the navigation elements. It looks like you have 10 pages. On all of them you have serious problems with your nav-buttons. As has been pointed out, you've completely zapped the MouseOver layer on all of your pages. Additionally, you have as many as eleven (11) MouseOff button groups sitting on top of each other. For example, there are 11 black Home buttons, all stacked up on the same page and in the same position. This is true for both the top navbar and the vertically oriented buttons.

I'd strongly suggest that you take some time to understand layers and rollover effects, soft groups, and repeating items.

You can fix your site by doing the following:
    • Delete all navigation on pages 2 through 10.
    • Open the Design Gallery & drag a new vertical navbar and a new horizontal navbar into the gray space on your first web page. These will replace all of your nonfunctioning buttons. This will automatically add a MouseOver layer to the Layer Gallery.
    • One by one, check the link assigned to your existing buttons, then make sure that assigment is made to the corresponding new/replacement buttons.
    • Delete the nonfunctioning buttons from your first web page.
    • Position your new navbars on your first web page.
    • Edit the text on your soft-grouped buttons as required.
    • Select your navbar elements and do 'Arrange > Repeat on all pages'.
    Check out the attached .web file. It took about 20 minutes. It sure beats rebuilding the site from scratch!

Now ... open the Help file and do some studyin'.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post

As has been pointed out, you've completely zapped the MouseOver layer on all of your pages.
    Any idea how I might have done that, so I can refrain from doing it again?

Thumbs up Re: Mouseover effects...where did they go?

Quote Originally Posted by cursor View Post

Check out the attached .web file. It took about 20 minutes. It sure beats rebuilding the site from scratch!
    Curtis, you are a super hero! No offense to you, Eric, but I knew there must be a better way.

Thanks to all who took time to help! Jumping right into XWD with no real image experience is a handicap to me. I wish I could give up my daytime job to be able to spend more time mastering XWD. I hope to be able to soon help others to return your favors to me!

OT

We don't know how you managed it Oldtbone.
    Curtis was nice enough to rebuild it for you.
    Maybe you could try to do it again
    Let us know!