Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Post virtual memory is not enough

Hello
    My virtual memory is not enough, though I only have 4 pages to my website. Tar Xara Web Designer so much space or have I done something wrong? The computer is slow and I can not build more. I have 512MB ram memory should be well enough? Has anyone had the same problem? How you solved it? Sincerely undran

Default Re: virtual memory is not enough

What version of Windows are you using?
    Nowadays, getting by with less than 1 GB RAM is pretty difficult, and most have at least 2 GB as the bare minimum.
    What processor are you using?

Save your work and reboot your computer and try again.
    If you still run into that problem, go to Start-Run-msconfig-Enter
    Go to the Startup tab and uncheck anything you know you don't want to start when Windows loads, such as Quicktime and other trash.
    If you aren't absolutely sure you don't need it, leave it alone.
    Then reboot and try again.
    If for some reason you want it back, go to the Startup tab again, check the box, and reboot again. It will run again.
    Last edited by Merlin_AZ; 11 July 2009 at 06:40 AM.

Hi Undran welcome to TG

as always, first thing to do is check out your system thoroughly for virus/malware....

BTW:

quicktime may be unwanted but it is not 'trash' - in fact, some programs will not run without it

nothing legitimate in msconfig is 'trash' - though it may be unwanted
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi
    I have Windows XP and I have now removed the program with auto state computer go a little faster to start, but it is still too little virtual memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Undran View Post
    Hello
    My virtual memory is not enough, though I only have 4 pages to my website. Tar Xara Web Designer so much space or have I done something wrong? The computer is slow and I can not build more. I have 512MB ram memory should be well enough? Has anyone had the same problem? How you solved it? Sincerely undran
    Virtual memory refers to memory swapped out to disk. First of all make sure you have plenty of space for the swap.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Download CUPZ from here.
    Run it, and look at the SPD tab.
    It will tell you how many RAM slots you have (usually 2), and what type of RAM your system uses.
    Buy two matching RAM sticks (either two 1 GB sticks or two 2 GB sticks) and replace what you have.
    It shouldn't cost that much. Check places like www.newegg.com.
    Yes, Grace is right, but if you had more RAM, you wouldn't need to swap as much.
    What processor does your system have? It would give us an idea about the age/speed of it.

you could always try defragmenting the system disk ...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Check your hard drive, it may be getting full.

If you open Windows control panel, system properties, advanced. There you can check and adjust virtual memory settings.

Proceed with caution.

Hi Undran,

It would be very helpful if you would post the type of machine you had with stats....RAM, HD and size, CPU type and speed....etc.

Ok, you have 1 problem caused possibly by a few things, most of which have been mentioned.

Upgrade your RAM, nowadays a necessity to have at least 1G.....minimum...

Clear all cookies, temp files, etc. from internet options in internet explorer, it's the second item down.

Check your C: drive for how full it is....if it's nearly full, you will always have the virtual memory problem. If this is the case, you have 2 options....clean up the drive (the temp files are part of that) or get a larger hard drive. Try to store and load any data and programs you have on your D: drive rather than C:. Often that helps to keep it from getting too full. When it gets too full then there is not enough room for the swap file.

For help in cleaning unused and disconnected items, I use easycleaner (google to find it). If you use it just be careful with the remove duplicate files. It can be tricky and cause problems. The main items to use on this program are: Clear cookies, Clear files, and Unnecessary. Using this program will mean you don't have to go into internet explorer options, your choice. If you use this program it will free up quite a bit of space, I guarantee it.

Next, run an antivirus on the drive to ensure no viruses. Then run bot checkers. I use AVG, Search & Destroy and Adaware. This will ensure no nasties are left to slow down your machine. They all will take some time to run so be patient.

Once you've done the above, defrag your drive.

Doing the above will ensure a smoother working system for sure. If your PC is older (mine is, an AMD 1800+, 1.5Ghz) it might still run a bit slow but bearable. Mine is old and it runs all sorts of heavy programs well.

I hope the above will give you a better running system.

Ed......:-)
    Last edited by Karateed; 12 July 2009 at 07:26 PM.