Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Web Design possibilities in Xtreme 5 ? Is editing the pages possible ?

Hello to you.

To answer to cursor, and as I said before, the page created in Xtreme5 is a page that can't be edited in an html editor, as all the Xara html code is in the CSS section of the page (stop me if I am wrong - but it seems to be what I found this afternoon).

So I think the better is (unfortunatly, because it is less simple) to make only a part of the page in Xara, then do the remainder in another web editor (I own the "old" DreamW 2004, and I see how to use it in that way).

The good new would be a possibility to import a Xara graphic directly in a dreamW page (when I speak about a "Xara graphic" I think especially about a navigation bar)

I am interesting to see what are your choices, when you have profesional graphicdesign works to do. I don't know Microsoft Expressions Web. I'll have a look...

Do you have opinions about the Xara code ? Is it "heavy" or "light" ? "Clean" or "dirty" ?
    Stéphane
    Graphisme, illustrations & Webdesign - France
    creavisa

Default Re: Web Design possibilities in Xtreme 5 ? Is editing the pages possible ?

Quote Originally Posted by stephane_fr View Post
    ........ the page created in Xtreme5 is a page that can't be edited in an html editor ...... stop me if I am wrong
    STOP, you're wrong .....
    As far as I am aware, once the code has been produced from the graphic, by being converted to html by the html filter, it is pure text and can be edited by any standard text/html editor.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Indeed I was wrong. The code is in the body, not the head.

Actually there is a multitude of layers for pictures. The pictures that were not grouped in Xara appears in different layers on the html page (so if possible it is necessary to group them before).

Texts appear in layers too. Line by line (1 line = 1 layer). So very very difficult and hard to edit.
    Stéphane
    creavisa

Stephane,

It's not being designed to be edited in a html editor. Stop thinking that way .....

If you want to edit the text, then open Xara Xtreme 5 or Xara Web Designer and edit the base file. Then re-upload.
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Ok, I just understood you were thinking differently when you said "it is pure text and can be edited by any standard text/html editor"

So... Am I wrong if I think that Web Designer/XaraXtreme is a tool that can make a good personal website, but not good for doing a website to a client ?

Regards,
    Stephane
    Stéphane
    creavisa

No ...... It can be edited by any standard text/html editor, but because of the absolute positioning nature of Xara, it can get very complex. That's why I said it would be better to edit in Xara directly. It saves having to recalculate all the positions manually.

There are lots of comments on the nature of Xara's websites. Commenting personally, I see no need for personal websites and websites for clients to be different. A good website is a good website whoever it's for.
    Keith

Am I wrong if I think that Web Designer/XaraXtreme is a tool that can make a good personal website, but not good for doing a website to a client?
    That's not really the distinction. Xtreme is good at fixed, graphics-based brochure-like sites, and for rapid prototyping. It's poor at dynamic, content-based, interactive sites; that's not really what it's made for.

Whether the site is personal or for someone else is not much of an issue.