Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Embedding Fonts in Xar Files Questions and Discussions

This isn't something I've seen much discussion about on these forums. Apparently V5 now embeds fonts used in documents automatically into the xar file. Specifically, it apparently embeds the character shapes of letters of a font used to ensure WYSIWYG and portability of xar documents.

I'm wondering whether this means that the actual characters of the used font are stored in the xar file, or whether some new vector recreation is created as a substitute. It would be interesting to see what happens when more of the same character is inserted on another machine without the font (adding characters not used is not supposed to work, so it's like the 'only embed characters in use' option in Word). This isn't easy for me to test. Does anyone have any weird fonts they can upload in a xar file here? I also wonder: if fonts are embedded, how is this allowed for fonts that aren't supposed to be embedded?

The advantage of only embedding fonts used is retaining exact readability and minimising file size. Embedding the full font would retain editability as well but at the cost of filesize (and maybe copyright issues).

That this feature has been introduced into Xara suggests they may be preparing to compete with PDF as a portable document format. We can only dream; if only Xara had a dedicated .xar reader (like they used to back in 1995)...

At least we now apparently don't need to check the document properties to see which fonts are missing for V5 files.

Default Re: Embedding Fonts in Xar Files Questions and Discussions

Here you go, some unusual fonts.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

This is what I see opening Bobs xar. 1st the warning re the fonts not being installed and the substitution message.

Without nowing what the fonts should look like it's difficult to tell.

I've added the "IJK" to the end of each line. It shows as text and not dingbats on the dingbat fonts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gif.gif 
Views:	231 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	63303  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

On further examination it only seems to embed the fonts used in the xar.

So for example I can retype upper and lower case Align Twits from A through G but if I type HIJ I get a text font only. I can't tell if this is the case with the non dingbat fonts.

A workaround would be to have a full character set on the paste board.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Here's a file that uses Informal Roman. It has all upper and lower case characters. If you haven't got it installed try creating text in this font.
    Egg

Damn, I have Informal Roman installed apparently. Interesting how you can type characters of fonts you don't have installed but which are already used in a document. I wonder if they are real parts of the font (and how copyright issues are bypassed), or if they are new vector substitutes which are mapped to the characters. It's a pretty nice feature anyway (and long overdue ).

EDIT: Actually, an interesting test would be to compare file sizes between text with an unusual font, and that same text converted to shapes and saved as a different file. I wonder if automatically embedding fonts (or some characters) increases file size much relative to version 4 files. Hmm, it does seem to actually for non-standard fonts; not majorly though in the cases I've just looked at.
    Last edited by Xhris; 08 July 2009 at 07:50 PM.

I downloaded Bobs file.
    I don't have any of the font's installed - Xara has substituted (badly), the dingbats show only an embedded subset (where the partial copy only includes only data for characters actually used in the document.) I cannot type other characters of the font.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NotInstalled-EmbeddedSubset.png 
Views:	240 
Size:	2.5 KB 
ID:	63309

Here's how Agenda-Bold (for example) appears in the opened .xar against how it should look if it were installed or embedded.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	agendabold.png 
Views:	233 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	63310

Egg's file displayed fine because I have Informal Roman installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Interesting how you can type characters of fonts you don't have installed but which are already used in a document.
    As far as I can tell, testing from Bob's file, I am typing only characters from the substituted font, not an embedded one.

Update:

After playing with Bob's file I closed the file (not Xtreme) it threw up an AV and then immediately showed another dialog about 'An extremely serious error...' for a second then exited completely.
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 08 July 2009 at 07:54 PM.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I had a play with Bob's file and I got the warning about uninstalled fonts being substituted. When I opened it there were issues with spacing. the screenshot below shows Bob's file on my screen. I didn't get any of the errors that Steve did.

I also found in the help files this: Xtreme Pro stores the character shapes of all the fonts used in your document. This means if you give someone else your .web file, or transfer the file to another computer they will see exactly what you see

I have attached both a .web and a.xar file of some fonts for others to try and see if there is any difference. Also one of the fonts I know has a restricted license and should not be embeddable it will be interesting to see what happens with that one. I also included in my files the same fonts converted to shapes so you can see for sure what each one should look like.

Name:	font test Bob's screen.png 
Views:	206 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	63314  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Xtreme Pro stores the character shapes of all the fonts used in your document.
    This isn't quite correct. It appears to store all the used character shapes of a font but NOT the unused characters.

It appears to do what Flash does to embed a font in the way of embedding just those characters used (the Autofill option)

Name:	png2.png 
Views:	197 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	63328  
    Egg