Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Embedding Fonts in Xar Files Questions and Discussions

When I download Bob's I get exactly what Frances gets but cant do anything with it. When I type in Egg's text block I can fill in the text and get the same characters without Steve's errors. I this anything to do with web safe fonts or am I getting this wrong. It would be really good to know the definitive rules here of what we can and can not do and is it legal?
    Design is thinking made visual.

It strikes me that I ought to post a screenshot of how the fonts really should look.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fonts.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	63349  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

This is what I get Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	png.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	31.9 KB 
ID:	63351  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As you can see these are nothing like your originals (apart from the dingbat fonts which I don't have installed).

From the Help Files:
    Font embedding
    Xara Xtreme Pro 5 stores the character shapes of all the fonts used in your document. This means if you give someone else your design file, or transfer the file to another computer, the text will still look exactly right, even if the correct fonts are not installed on that computer. But this only embeds the characters that are used in the document (the full font is not included). So on computers with the fonts missing, any text that is added in the missing fonts may be missing the correct character shapes.
    Unless I'm missing something this isn't working as advertised. Maybe John can throw some light on the subject.
    Last edited by Egg Bramhill; 09 July 2009 at 01:16 PM.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Not all fonts allow embedding. Xara will only embed a font if it does not forbid it.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I wonder then, how does Acrobat load PDFs when the font is not on a user's system, and it retain an as-designed look? Or does it now I come to think about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    I wonder then, how does Acrobat load PDFs when the font is not on a user's system, and it retain an as-designed look? Or does it now I come to think about it?
    It has some very clever multiple master technology which synthesises a font to fit from a specification of the original.

Could this be what Xara V5 is doing also (or attempting to) I wonder?

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    Could this be what Xara V5 is doing also (or attempting to) I wonder?
    If it is, then it's not making a very good job of it!
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Actually Kieth when it has the fonts that are allowed to be embedded it works very well. I just think the warning window needs tweaking to inform the user what fonts have been embedded and what fonts have been substituted and the help files updated. Bill sent me a xar file were all the fonts embeded correctly. Possibly if he reads this he'll attach it here.
    Egg