Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Random Fillable Shapes

I tried that Bill - two things occur:

1 - if there are gaps in the lines it wont break fully into shapes

2 - if you remove the top shape you will remove the lines that separate the shapes [this may not matter]

@ ERIC - thanks I was thinking of that too - same applies as above I think - oh and I cannot get the steps as Frank states them to work - has anyone else?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Steve you are correct if you don't complete a line it cannot create a complete shape. But you knew that without saying.

Your step 2 is required to have the shapes beneath revealed.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

REGARDING FRANKS TIP:

I think the 'group lines' should be ' select all' and 'convert line to shape' - and in practice you may get away with leaving the 'convert line to shape' step out if all the lines are genuine lines and non are actually shapes

the neat idea of Franks of setting the line and fill color up front falls down here in the current xtreme, as you cannot set a fill color for a line any more, if you 'do' you are simply [re]setting the line color....

@BILL

I was comparing it to inkscape where it does not matter if there are [reasonably small] gaps - it will still fill - I think that might be useful here

[you will also be tired of me asking why the heck xtreme does not have this feature when every other vector program worthy of the name on the planet has, from illustrator to serif draw plus]

I think you mis-understood my second point - yes you need to remove the top shape of course, but maybe leaving the lines in place is a requirement [but maybe not], that was all I was saying....
    Nothing lasts forever...

This almost, almost works with the slice tool if you add the lines before hand but it always leaves a few cuts behind.

Anyhoo, I thought I'd have a go at this technique for a different effect and here's the results...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plastic.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	63329  

Very cool Sadler! I just played with it too...fun and easy. My stray lines looked like this to me:

Name:	nest.png 
Views:	177 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	63331  
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

I used to do this as a child, we called it "taking your pencil for a walk" Back then of course we used a pencil, paper and markers etc.

Clip veiw it, add a frame and voila! Modern art!

Name:	takepencilforawalk.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	29.5 KB 
ID:	63333  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Quote Originally Posted by Burpee View Post
    Very cool Sadler!
    That is neeto!
    Cool Burpee and Frances.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

A little french village east of Dallas, TX called Forney And now Austria and Germany too

@ Steve J

I'm sure that you know this already, however I will point it out for people that are perhaps somewhat newer to the product. If keeping the lines is a requirement, you could always add a step of cloning (Ctrl+K) the lines and moving them off to the side (Shift+Arrow key a few times) so that after you finish the rest of the steps, you could move the lines back (Shift+Arrow key a few times in the opposite direction).

Or alternatively if you just want your new shapes to have an outline, you can always apply one once you have them as individual shapes.

Eric
    I'm never wrong. I thought I was wrong once but it turns out that I was mistaken.
    Web Templates. My Beginner Video Tutorials
    My Club. My Album.
    My Other Album. My Tutorial.

Hi Eric

yes one way of doing it

I tend to copy the original lines to clipboard and then copy back in place after

your method is good if you need the clipboard meanwhile ..
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by bcire68 View Post
    ...you could always add a step of cloning (Ctrl+K) the lines and moving them off to the side (Shift+Arrow key a few times) so that after you finish the rest of the steps, you could move the lines back (Shift+Arrow key a few times in the opposite direction).
    Eric
    or copy the lines to the clipboard (Ctrl + C) then when you are done, paste them back in place (Shift + Ctrl + V).
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Edit: @ Steve - I made the mistake of opening a batch of unread posts in background tabs, going off to cook dinner and then replying to this one without refreshing!
    B.
    Last edited by iamtheblues; 10 July 2009 at 06:30 PM. Reason: addendum
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.