Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you use a Tablet?

I don't have a drawing tablet I’m thinking about it, I know a lot of people use them, so this thread is a bit of a survey/discussion on the pro's and con's of using them and what the best tablets on the market, etc.

Default Re: Do you use a Tablet?

This has been discussed before a few times, also a Poll was run a couple years back here:
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=25649

Thx Sledger, I didn’t see you on that thread, do you have an opinion on this?

can you draw freehand - or wish to learn?

if not, a mouse may be all you need...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by SmartEd View Post
    Thx Sledger, I didn’t see you on that thread, do you have an opinion on this?
    Not a great deal of one.

I had a WACOM Graphire 5 first, but the slippery surface ended up really bugging me, though a sheet of copy paper sat on top of it helped.

I managed to sell it off to someone who really wanted one then later when the Bamboo was launched I bought some for stock, curiosuity led me to open one and try it out. Was a major improvement so I kept one.
    I use it occasionally, but to be honest I do much better with most things using a mouse.

It serves a secondary purpose as a demo to sell stock

I have had a Wacom Graphire tablet for several years but rarely use it.

It does not have the feel of working with pencil or pen and ink. A mouse gives me better control when drawing using software.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Hi SmartEd

I guess it's down to personal preference, but unlike sledger I wouldn't want to contemplate using Xtreme (or indeed pretty well any software) without a tablet. In fact I use one just for purely "Windows" stuff and rarely touch a mouse. Over the last 10 years I've used a range of Wacoms (currently a Sapphire at work, Graphire at home) which have all been faultless despite being the cheapest/smallest in the Wacom range. Helps avoid risk of RSI (compared to using a mouse) in my experience, also.

I originally thought that the small size of the active area (around A6 size) would be a limitation but I've honestly never been stuck because of this.

Jon

That's really interesting, I think I need to borrow one or get a cheapy and see how I get on with it.

Yeh, borrowing a good one is a fine idea.
    Buying a cheapy is a bad idea.

I used to absolutely hate tablets because I always had to work with a huge one, which left no space for a keyboard, which over time did my back in. I've not been forced to use one for ages, so my attitude has softened somewhat, but being addicted to all three mouse buttons, I still don't have a use for one. I also find these days that I can draw pretty much just as well with a mouse now as I can with a pen, not that I ever have to draw anything.