Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Do you use a Tablet?

Just to echo Steve's last post - don't just "buy a cheapie" on my recommendation, my point was that Wacom's cheapest have always done me proud. I can't speak for any other make, and I have heard of friends being disappointed with other makes by comparison. BTW I think the current Wacom Bamboo starter model was around £30 in PC World last time I looked, which was to buy one for my son...

I am intrigued to read of some of the Xarans - eg Steve L, Bill and Bones - who can draw happily with a mouse. I just wish I could!
    Last edited by JonH27; 07 July 2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Forget BONES

Unhappy Re: Do you use a Tablet?

Bought a Graphire 5.
    Lovely.
    Expensive.
    Turned out it doesn't magically bestow you with drawing skills. :-|

Luckily they hold their value enough to flog them second hand on the ebays.

I got a Wacom Intuos2 6x8" a few years back and use it when working in Xtreme. Works great particularly for cartooning, which is mostly what I do.

I don't own one but sometimes wish I did. Having never used one I wonder if I would end up liking it.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard509 View Post
    I don't own one but sometimes wish I did. Having never used one I wonder if I would end up liking it.
    I guess thats the million dollar question, alright £60 question. I know a lady who knows a man....... so i'm going to borrow one.

I have two Wacoms: an Intuous 6x8 that I won in a conference eight years ago (last woman standing ), and a 4x5 Graphire I got for home use a couple of years ago.

Primarily, I use them for general Windows/application tasks when I'm having trouble with RSI (like now). The tablets are a big help when arms and hands are hurting. As JonH27 says, they also greatly reduce the risk of injury. I haven't yet gotten to the point where I'm willing to give up the mouse.

To the extent that I ever learned to draw, it was using a mouse, so I still tend to grab the rodent when I'm being "artistic".

Quote Originally Posted by BONES View Post
    I used to absolutely hate tablets because I always had to work with a huge one
    I had this feeling too, a large tablet is quite un-ergonomic for a all-round mouse replacement.
    But incidentally I have problems working long hours with a mouse, pain in particular.

The solution for me: A small bamboo tablet next to the keyboard (non-extended, without numpad).
    It keeps my arms close together, making long stretches of work more comfortable.

Despite the small form factor of this one, a tablet is definitively more precise than a mouse for me, even for vector work. And most important: no pain!!!

I still use my other 9x12" in painting programs where it shines the most.

Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2135.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	145.1 KB 
ID:	63244  
    Last edited by MarcT; 07 July 2009 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Spell

Quote Originally Posted by SmartEd View Post
    I guess thats the million dollar question, alright £60 question. I know a lady who knows a man....... so i'm going to borrow one.
    Your going to borrow a man ?
    I have a Wacom Intuos 3 tablet that I bought at Amazon.
    It is nice and works very well. It takes a little time to get used to , a little different from a mouse. If I am using the shaped editor tool , then it is still easier for em to use the mouse, but now I can use the tablet pen or the mouse about the same. But for doing a sketch there is no comparison. I mean the tablet and pen is much easier to sketch with than trying to use a mouse. the freehand tool is still a little clunky in xtreme but it works. I get better results using illustrator.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by a4hire View Post
    Your going to borrow a man ?
    Don't knock what you haven't tried Bruce

The Wacom Intuos3 is an expensive tablet, UK prices £328 but don't get me started on UK prices, thats a new thread thats very long