Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default bitmap copy of clip very blurry

This weekend while trying to make an animated gif, I used the mask and clip features to use only a portion of an image in my project. I copied the clip and put it into the file I was working on.

Later I wanted to make the file a bit smaller, so I tried the create a bitmap copy of the clipped item. The bitmap is very blurry, unusable.
    Is there anywhere I can check to see settings that might cause this? Using version 5.

(I posted a version of the xar file as part of another post I made today http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?p=319820)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitmap_copy_of_clipped_very_blurry.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	62905  
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Default Re: bitmap copy of clip very blurry

Ramp up the DPI for the bitmap copy, 300dpi ought to do it

Where would I make that change?
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

In the Bitmap Copy dialog, go to the Bitmap Size tab and change (only) the DPI to 300

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bitmapcopy-dpi.png 
Views:	231 
Size:	5.0 KB 
ID:	62907

Ah, Yes. How silly I feel now. Several times I looked right at it and did not even see the dropdown option.
    Worked perfectly. Much appreciated.
    -Samantha

You can also input via the keyboard if you want a higher dpi.

LOL I never even thought about trying to change the dpi with typing. My mind was on the other issue (This weekend, I was banging my head about a non-transparent gif that would only export solidly if I checked the option for transparency ).
    -Samantha

I can't grasp the value of using a 300 ppi resolution here as it's for web use where it will be rendered at 96 ppi on the vast majority of computers.

In the attached png, one of the images is at 300 ppi and the other at 96 ppi. Can you tell the difference?

The difference only becomes apparent within Xtreme when zoomed in, as per the image supplied above by Samantha, but at 100% the two should render almost identically, or am I missing something?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Egg, you're correct that for web graphics, you don't want any more than 96dpi. However, if you create the bitmap copy at a high res (at least 300dpi), then export it at 96, you can get a much sharper image with better detail.

In this second generation export, it's a little harder to see the differences between the exports from the 300 ppi and 600 ppi bitmap copies. They were very noticeable in the final output.

Name:	exports_from_bmp_copies.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	62935  

BTW, the image with the $50 bills was ultimately used at 300dpi with a big fade from right to left so it could go under text in a brochure.

For our webpage, the pink in the $50s didn't work and the shadows on the $100s were unacceptable. I was able to hide the shadows very satisfactorily using only X5. (Very proud of myself.) And I used the same bitmap copy trick on the bills to get good detail in the final output.

Name:	am_pic_rac.png 
Views:	187 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	62937  
    Last edited by amoore; 30 June 2009 at 04:10 PM.