Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question animated gif exporting with wierd results

I banged my head many times this weekend trying to see any logic in this issue. Cou;dn't find any. Tried many things to diagnose the issue. Looks like a bug to me....

Details:
    - simple animated gif
    - No transparency wanted or needed
    - background frame has dark rectangle in this sample (was a grouped set in my real file)
    - background frame has at least one image/object and may or may not have clipping of object.
    - white font on other frames

RESULT:
    1) file one: 468x60anitest-object_on_dark_NT.xar I did not check the transparency option. Exported the animated gif to 468x60anitest-object_on_dark_NT.gif and the white pixels are not rendered. splotchy text where file is trying to be transparent even though file is not set for transparency.
    2) file two: 468x60anitest-object_on_dark_Tchecked.xar I did check the option for transparency. Exported to the animated gif 468x60anitest-object_on_dark_Tchecked.gif and now the file is solid, rendering correctly!

It is my belief that I should check the box for transparency only when I want transparency and expect that some pixels would be made transparent when exported. Yet this weekend I found I had to check for transparency to get solid rendering.

Additional important note: The files look the same on the forum because the background color of the forum is light. If you take these gif and put them on a dark background, you will see the text and other font on the one set is not properly rendered.

Is this a known issue, being worked on?

I have attached the files for reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	468x60anitest-object_on_dark_NT.gif 
Views:	147 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	62900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	468x60anitest-object_on_dark_Tchecked.gif 
Views:	148 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	62901  

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by samrc; 30 June 2009 at 12:23 AM. Reason: animation looks fine, but isn't on dark backgrounds!
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Default Re: animated gif exporting with wierd results

This is the way it looks when you have a non-light background behind the one file (took screen print to show you)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	468x60anitest_object_on_dark_screenshoot.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	62904  
    -Samantha
    "Try to live your life so that you wouldn't be afraid to sell the family parrot to the town gossip." Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)

Hi Samantha, it's an odd one. It seems to be caused by you using text with an outline. Set the outline to none and the problem goes away. The animation is rendered in an entirely different manner depending on whether you use outlines on the text or not. Attached is a xar file with two animations (1 with & 1 without strokes) reimported into Xtreme.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

As a workaround, if you want to use outlines, it will work if:
    1: Create text without outline.
    2: Clone text
    3: Apply outline
    4: Convert line to shape
    5: Select both text objects, Arrange/Combine/Add Shapes.

This will export without the unwanted transparency.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host