Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Exporting Eps File Problem

Hi Everyone - I have not been to Talk Graphics for sometime now, hope you are all well!! I was very sadden to hear of the sad loss of our dear friend Norman, may his dear soul rest in peace! Here's to you Norm!! We will miss you man!!

Ok - I did a search and found numerous threads about exporting files in EPS format - I have a problem, I need the eps files to open in all programmes like Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop.

Some of my eps files open in PSP and some not and I need them to open in both PSP and PS. I did read that if you have transparencies etc that it may not work and I see this is true. So what is the point of drawing in the programme I love the most and I have such a dilemma on my hands?? I would hate to have to learn Adobe Illustrator. it took me years to learn Xara

I have clients on my site, some use PSP and other PS. Is there no way that I can overcome this exporting problem. When I browse my exported eps files in PSP, some do not even show up in the browser window. I read the help files in Xara Xtreme and it said to drop the dpi to 200 and yes then it worked, they did open up in PSP (and showed up in the PSP Browser window) but I was left with jaggies when I opened the eps file. That is just not acceptable.

Has anyone since the other posts about exporting eps files with transparencies managed to overcome this problem?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks to much - I will attach a xara file that will not show up in PSP exported at 300 dpi but will when exported at 200, yes there are transparent shapes in the image. I am at my wits end and I need to be creating vector art for my clients not trying to find out how to overcome these problems <giggle> I am a very busy man <giggle again>.

Kind regards

Barry

PS: THIS IS WHAT XARA HELP HAS TO SAY

Xara Xtreme EPS Overview

You can export Xara Xtreme EPS files using Export on the File menu. Xara Xtreme EPS files are placeable EPS or a printing form of EPS. This form of EPS is intended to be sent directly to a PostScript printer, to be sent to a separating program for typesetting, or to be embedded in another application's files for downloading to a PostScript printer when that file is printed. Note hat this is not a suitable format for transferring drawings between programs.

Exporting bitmaps, bevels, shadows and transparency

If your drawing contains bitmaps, bevels, shadows, or transparency, Xara Xtreme stores bitmap data in the file when exporting as Xara Xtreme EPS (PostScript does not support transparent objects). You can control the resolution of this bitmap data. It defaults to 200 pixels per inch. If you find this is not right, you can override this with a manual setting. Bitmap resolution is always measured in pixels per inch (or dots per inch if you prefer). Xara Xtreme will not let you export bitmap data in an EPS file at more than 600 pixels per inch, whatever method you choose. This is because 600 dots per inch is very high resolution indeed and can produce very large EPS files - any higher resolution is unnecessary. 300 dpi should be considered a practical maximum for exporting bitmap data to EPS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diamond-2.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	48.5 KB 
ID:	62825  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    “BE KIND, FOR EVERYONE YOU MEET IS FIGHTING A HARD BATTLE” -Plato

Default Re: Eporting Eps File Problem

Why not export it as a PDF? It exports really clean and looks great at 300dpi.

I exported your file as Illustrator AI and opened it in Illustrator CS4.

The attached image is what your file looks like at 400%.

The main difference between AI and EPS is AI is meant to be edited and EPS as explained by Xara tech support is for "placing" in an publishing application such as QuarkXPress or Adobe InDesign.

Name:	illustrator-diamond-400.png 
Views:	195 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	62829  
    Last edited by gwpriester; 27 June 2009 at 10:31 PM.

Hi Barry - nice to see you again

If I were transferring from xtreme to PS I would use .PDF, same as Gary

Don't use PSP any more, so don't know if .PDF will work for this program

That bit about .EPS not being a suitable file format for transfer of drawings between programs [in xtreme help] means what it says, I think...
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Have you tried PDF at 300 dpi?

Opens and looks fine in PS.

EPS is a problematic format and best avoided.

Damn, two others jumped in while I was testing and saving
    Oh well - it's unanimous - go with PDF
    Attached Files Attached Files

It looks like it's being anti-aliased. Have you tried exporting it using a background color the same as, or similar to, the background on which the image is to be placed? Exporting an image against a white background then placing that image on a darker background is the recipe for 'jaggies'.

Just a thought,
    Harry

Name:	Diamond_Black_Backdrop.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	62828  

Thank you everyone for your replies and wonderful advice as usual! Big Up To You All!!!

You see, most of my clients on my site use PSP still, so I thought it would be a wonderful addition that they could re-size the images to whatever size they wanted. (I will just have to keep offering them tubes and PNG files)

But, my main concern is that I do work for a Software Developer in Spain, and he has a Programme that he wrote for Photographers and they need to have clip-art that can be re-sized to very big sizes for printing purposes, so I suppose the PDF option will be the best. (Not quite sure how to do that yet or if it will work for them). The clip-art which must be on a transparent background in PDF format, I suppose the best would be is to ask the software developer. If you see the image 002, all these designs were made in Xara and some had transparency applied and they just exported fine and opened fine is PSP as well so I thought I was onto a good thing here!!!

EPS files made in Xara are great if the are black, like my swirl designs that I do, then I just add one of my layer styles to it in PS and that is a great way to "color" them, but sadly my PSP users are very jealous!! See the images des_001 as the before sample and the des_002 as the after the layer style has been applied.

Thanks again for the quick and many responses, I will give it a go later today it is 1.15am here in South Africa! Tired! Stressed

What gets me is that is just works for some images and not for others, and the ones that do work do indeed have transparent effects applied to some of the shapes, like my car for example. It has just got me so confused. Maybe a re-install of Xara would sort everything out......ha ha ha ha!!! Bet you heard that one before!! Maybe a format of my PC????? <giggle>

You guys are the best!!

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	62833   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	des_001.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	62834  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	des_002.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	62835  
    “BE KIND, FOR EVERYONE YOU MEET IS FIGHTING A HARD BATTLE” -Plato