Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Creating a Drop Down Menu navigation

I put together a short tutorial on how to create the most simple drop down menu. The whole video, including the intro and my useless bantor and stumbling is about 11 minutes long and creates 4 navigation buttons and two drop down menus.

There are a few mistakes along the way, but I think you will get the jist of it.

Please let me know your thoughts: http://www.technicalrs.com/XaraStuff...pDownMenus.htm

Default Re: Creating a Drop Down Menu navigation

That was nicely done!

It helped to demystify it a bit.

Seeing is always better for me at least.

Thank you for taking the time to make that up.

Peace

Excellent! Thanks for providing us with the tutorial.

Minstrel
    ...the best is yet to come!

Thumbs up Re: Creating a Drop Down Menu navigation

Nice video, Scott. I find your approach creative and it really simplifies the making of drop-down menus.

Very informative & concise Scott. Thanks for sharing.
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Agree with the others. Very well-made video that will be appreciated by many, I’m sure.
    Sven-Ingvar

Arrow Re: Creating a Drop Down Menu navigation

Hi Slavelle.

Fantastic tutorial. I watched it twice!

Never having used Xara or Web Designer to make drop-down menus, I would not know what to do next?

I have Xara Pro5 and let's say I followed your instruction and made some drop-down menus, where would I find instructions on how to include them in a web page?

I'd be grateful for an answer from anyone.

Rik.

Thank you for this Scott, such a clear helpful tutorial. I'm sure many will be grateful; I sure am.
    Phil Thompson

Awesome Tutorial Scott!! I knew if I lingered around long enough someone would make it clear to us and you certainly did.

I would like to add another set of links off the first set of links. Do I have to do all the buttons individually in that case?

For instance, your dropdown included 3 links, (Services 1, Services 2, and Services 3) would I have to make the links all individual with the backgrounds in order to add another link tier - for instance for Services 1?

It would be the exact same process as creating the second dropdown was.

• Create a new layer
    • Copy what was on one of the other popup layers (you don't have to, but it's quicker)
    • Paste it onto the new level of navigation layer and move it into its proper place
    • Select the text that should pop it open and select the mouseover tab, pointing it to this new popup layer

That said, when you start getting into certain things like this, it works better when you have an object that surrounds the text to mouseover from - unfortunately having these graphic boxes add a few new variables in how text on mouseover layers behaves (it basically gets stuck behind these extra graphics, so things get kind of wierd. I will be covering this in another video for making your buttons a litle more complex and getting that button bar in use on a site.

Hope that helps.