Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb [Problem] Inner glow of a shape

Hey,

I was wondering how I can make a proper inner glow on a rectangle or any other shape in Xara Xtreme Pro.

Would the developers implement it the next version? xD
    And also a color gradient on lines =P
    That would make Xtreme Pro even more incredible than it already is

Nice job on the Content Aware photo scaling and the mask layering. It's fantastic. Now we can just stretch images without screwing the highlights!

Sincerely,
    EvilSanta

Default Re: [Problem] Inner glow of a shape

I'm not sure if this is the 'official' method, but this is how I create an inner glow to shapes: Create the shape you want to give an inner glow to; remove the fill (i.e., make it transparent); clone the shape (Ctrl-K); apply a shadow to the cloned shape in the shadow tool and set it to 'Glow' (and modify to your liking); select both shapes and select Arrange/Apply Clipview.

To apply a gradient (or other) fill to lines, first convert the line to a shape.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	line.png 
Views:	293 
Size:	5.7 KB 
ID:	62419  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheblues View Post
    To apply a gradient (or other) fill to lines, first convert the line to a shape.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Still would be easier if these 2 options would be included ^^

Quote Originally Posted by EvilSanta View Post
    Still would be easier if these 2 options would be included ^^
    If this is a feature request you can start a thread in the 'Dear Xara' forum: http://www.talkgraphics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56

I don't see a problem here...these are perfectly serviceable workarounds.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    this is how I create an inner glow to shapes: Create the shape you want to give an inner glow to; remove the fill (i.e., make it transparent); clone the shape (Ctrl-K); apply a shadow to the cloned shape in the shadow tool and set it to 'Glow' (and modify to your liking); select both shapes and select Arrange/Apply Clipview.
    I don't think these instructions work since you can't add a shadow to a transparent shape.

My attempt is attached.

I don't see a problem here...these are perfectly serviceable workarounds.
    I disagree entirely!

Converting a line to a shape (so that you can give it a gradient fill) means it is no longer a line! So what happens if you need to reshape the line? Or change the join style or end caps? Or thicken the line?

None of these are possible without recreating the line from scratch, or keeping a second copy of the line (on a hidden layer) from which to make changes.

As for the inner shadow / glow workaround - this is a multi-step process that involves some sophisticated concepts (such as clipview), where other packages might have a single button to achieve the same effect. Plus the end result is not easily editable, again involving multiple tools and stages.

Neither scenario is a good solution; both are clumsy methods of achieving something that is a frequent requirement in any design / graphics package.

Name:	Inner Shadows.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	62503  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I disagree but what's the point in arguing with you. If you planned ahead properly there's no problem.
    If you don't like it, use another application that costs lots more money.
    Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampa View Post
    I don't think these instructions work since you can't add a shadow to a transparent shape.
    As a matter of fact, your approach is rather similar. If you want to apply an inner shadow, your method works better.

See attached file to see how my workaround in applying an inner glow to a shape works.

Name:	Inner Glow.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	16.1 KB 
ID:	62511  
    Attached Files Attached Files

I disagree but what's the point in arguing with you.
    Bob, we aren't arguing - we are discussing. Differences of opinion and subsequent discussion are key drivers of new and better ideas.

My aim was to show that Xtreme can do both inner shadows and inner glows, and achieve great looking results, but that the process requires a good deal of prior knowledge, and is not ideal if the shape needs subsequent editing.

What if a future version of Xtreme could apply an inner glow with a single click? Perhaps as an extension of the existing glow tool. Maybe it would work like the contour or bevel tools, so that I can drag the glow both outside and inside the shape.

While we are at it, let's imagine that this new glow tool has resize handles, and an outer border (toggle-able) while resizing, so that I can see the outer (or inner) limits of my glow, rather than guessing (or switching to outline view, where I can see the glow edge). Additionally, let's add a text entry box, so that I can define my glow size numerically, if I feel so inclined.

All these features are already present in other tools within the Xtreme tool-set, so why not improve consistency and usability by adding them to the glow tool?

Similarly, with inner shadow, we can add the same features. The software already has the ability to clip the shadow to the shape as show in my demo, so why not automate it when the user drags a drop shadow inside an object?

Will any of these ideas revolutionise Xtreme? No, of course not.

Will they allow me to draw things that previously I couldn't? Again, no.

But, they would allow me to spend more time being creative, and less time clicking buttons in the right order, worrying about the technical aspects of the user interface.

Surely that is something worth aiming for?

I love Xara - the company, and their software. I have been happily using their products since the days of the ArtWorks on the Acorn Archimedes. But I will never stop questioning whether the program could be better than it already is, because to do so would be to imagine that it is perfect or beyond criticism, and nothing is.