Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: 3D Dragon

Default 3D Dragon

A neat illusion that you can make yourself.

Here's a link to the site and graphic, where you can download a PDF of the dragon in either red, blue or green.

-Bob.
    •Bob

Default Re: 3D Dragon

Just finished creating one
    It was a bit tricky putting it together because you 'think' you know how to assemble it... but since it's an optical illusion building the dragon was a strange process.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Know1 - DRAGON.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	62580  

Thanks Bob - very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Know1 View Post
    Just finished creating one
    It was a bit tricky putting it together because you 'think' you know how to assemble it... but since it's an optical illusion building the dragon was a strange process.
    Good job The illusion does work well.

I see you slightly bend (tilted) the head back. I done the same when the dragon is sitting below eye level. If you sat one higher, (like on top of the fridge) you won't need to adjust the head. But whatever fine tuning works best.

But the head is folded inward, although it won't appear that way when viewed. When viewing the actual dragon, it is recommended to view it with one eye shut, but the illusion still works with both eyes open.

-Bob.
    •Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hahn View Post
    Good job The illusion does work well.

I see you slightly bend (tilted) the head back. I done the same when the dragon is sitting below eye level. If you sat one higher, (like on top of the fridge) you won't need to adjust the head. But whatever fine tuning works best.
    I'll try that for the second one.
    I couldn't get the illusion to work at first so I tried different things (including tilting it) but mostly just mucking around. For anyone trying to create one: Stick to the instructions

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hahn View Post
    But the head is folded inward, although it won't appear that way when viewed. When viewing the actual dragon, it is recommended to view it with one eye shut, but the illusion still works with both eyes open.

-Bob.
    It's definitely much easier with one eye shut. I've also found that the wrong lighting can make it a bit more difficult to see the effect due to unnatural shadows.

But it is one heck of an effect. It has a much broader visual range than I expected.

I saw this elsewhere recently. I find it amazing.
    Things you should never say when pulled over by the police:
    Could you hold my beer while I dig out my license?