Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Default Re: Thank you and good bye! I'm no longer Xara's target audience.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellent View Post
    If Xara's price would go up to $599 with vector tool enhancements (...) - I would still buy it.
    Yes. And JA probably too. But, about 95% of others would not. Thus, to compensate the losses the price should actually go to something more like $5000. And in this case I doubt anyone would buy it. So, generally speaking, if we raise the price even adding whatever new features, we would be in a big trouble.
    John.
    IP

From what I see, no one could tell what would really happen if Xara comes up with a new Vector Xtreme tool that is particulary designed for Vector Art for Professionals (meaning: Users who make their income by using Graphic Software only). The only 'NEW' thing could be vector enhancements and tools but based on X5.

Professionals would have to buy it for the reason to be a time saver to finish their work, same as current users are using multiple software to achieve their goals.

Example: VectorMagic is an extreme niche product for a niche market, only good for one task and the price is ridiculous at first glance - but if you want results that work and the time you save - you get the money back with the first job you do by using it and saving yourself hours of fiddling with parameters and settings.
    Last edited by Xcellent; 16 June 2009 at 06:40 AM.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Xcellent View Post
    Example: VectorMagic is an extreme niche product for a niche market, only good for one task and the price is ridiculous at first glance - but if you want results that work and the time you save - you get the money back with the first job you do by using it and saving yourself hours of fiddling with parameters and settings.
    Or to put it another way ... Xara Xtreme has never had proper vector trace or professional quality node editting. Which is a pitty for something that has a kick ass vector engine. It's akin to putting a Ferrari engine in a formula one into an un-aerodynamic body ... oh wait a minute (F1 reference ... lol)
    IP

Is that a reference to the bitmap tracer? - for the time at which it was implemented, that was a good tool

Can't comment on the 'professional' node editing, as I don't do a great deal of that

To me a professional is some one who gets the job done - to spec, on time, preferably in budget, and consistently over time.
    Its not a question of which tools they use, or even if they get paid, though most do [sorry if that offends any snobs there may be around here]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    Can't comment on the 'professional' node editing, as I don't do a great deal of that

To me a professional is some one who gets the job done - to spec, on time, preferably in budget, and consistently over time.
    Interesting point ... but for example you design a logo and it looks good enough for screen / web, and even good enough to print of statationery, but say that client wants a massive sign printed of said logo. If all the nodes are not smooth / nice / right because you can't get it perfect then you'll spot the mistakes because Xara's node editting is not perfect. That is to say you can't do things like symmetrical nodes, etc. So the only chance you have to get some things right is doing them by eye - which is not a perfect situation by any stretch of the imagination.

That what I call professional design ... I think you're mixing up professional business like manner with professional design ... there's a wealth of difference. And I'm sure lots of forums out there that cater to the cravat of talking about being professional in a business sense
    IP

Fair enough - I am glad I am an artist and not a designer, I do not think the life would suit me
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post
    If all the nodes are not smooth / nice / right because you can't get it perfect then you'll spot the mistakes because Xara's node editting is not perfect. That is to say you can't do things like symmetrical nodes, etc. So the only chance you have to get some things right is doing them by eye - which is not a perfect situation by any stretch of the imagination.
    James,

That's interesting.

Are there specific areas you feel the work flow in Xara, or issues like this could be improved? Or have they already been identified in other posts?

For example, this one seems to have been addressed, which was a major complaint for those whose work was affected by it: http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39405

I wonder if there are smaller, vector related enhancements, rather than major new features (mesh fill, total brush redesign) that Xara could bite off and reasonably accomplish that would improve things for people like yourself.

I don't live in Xtreme (or whatever graphics program) like many of you, but I appreciate even the little things, like double clicking on a text object and having the text properties available without having to specifically select the text tool.

I would think that there are enhancements of this nature that accumulatively would improve your work flow and productivity.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post
    ....If all the nodes are not smooth / nice / right because you can't get it perfect then you'll spot the mistakes because Xara's node editting is not perfect....
    I believe that Xara's node editing was corrected in version 4. I also believe that because it didn't have any new vector tools, you didn't bother to upgrade.

You can't have it both ways JA - you can't not upgrade and then moan that your tools don't work properly.

If I have the wrong end of the stick here I apologise.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    I believe that Xara's node editing was corrected in version 4.
    I download the trial of all the different versions just to have a play ... there wasn't any changes of node editing in there ... such as symmetry snap tools. So you stand corrected.

As soon there is a difference then I will upgrade have no fear ... as I said ... I would be prepared to pay big style for new vector tools.
    IP

what node editing imperfections were you referring too then - I would like to know - forewarned is forearmed as they say
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP