Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Naming exported images

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    I do digital scrapbooking and plan on doing a membership site where people will download the graphics off the pages individually. The images need to be named for what they are: OrangeAlpha-A.jpg for instance and not 1.
    Use image placeholders for these special images.
    John.

Hey, brilliant idea. Who'da thunk? Thanks

Covoxer, I have another question for you. How would I do it if I wanted to do thumbnails but I want it to link to a download?

Covoxer, I have another question for you. How would I do it if I wanted to do thumbnails but I want it to link to a download?
    Well, links to images like JPG or PNG are opened directly by browsers. To avoid it you may use different file type. For example, you can archive the original images with zip or rar or any other archiver. Archives are downloaded automatically by all browsers.
    John.

Ok, thanks. What I did was link to the .zip location.

Hey, brilliant idea. Who'da thunk? Thanks
    It been mentioned once before earlier in this thread
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showpost...4&postcount=24

Please, the issue has been raised long enough. Is anyone on Xara's end even looking at the problem?
    I agree....this whole issue is a MAJOR problem which really needs to be addresses ASAP! I was sooo excited when I discovered this program as I thought it was EXACTLY what I need BUT with this issue, it is really sadly lacking, so much so that I am questioning wether to continue using it. Come on Xara's tech team....when are you going to address this problem?? Surely it is obvious that this is an issue that is not going away and is really going to be a HUGE dampener on an otherwise fabulous program!

How about some comments in the very least??

Quote Originally Posted by portwine View Post
    How about some comments in the very least??
    Covoxer (Xara's html export developer) has commented 5 times in this thread alone.

There have also been a number of other threads discussing the naming of images and current workable methods - here's the first I found:

http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=40493

I think it's reasonable to assume that future updates or patches will always address important bugs, feature improvements and requests especially if they are also in-line with development road maps.
    Clearly if retaining the imported bitmap's original name for export purposes is requested by an overwhelming majority I'm sure any reasonable developer would look closely.
    While to date there have been a number of people who have shown a preference for this, it's not been been a huge ground-swell and evidently there have been many excellent websites produced with the current version of XWD and Xtreme 5 which are successful without needing to retain original image names.
    I consider that making more use of the image ALT attribute would be most helpful to those who are new to web site design.

Clearly if retaining the imported bitmap's original name for export purposes is requested by an overwhelming majority I'm sure any reasonable developer would look closely.
    I officially want to put my vote in for this.
    For people like me who like to break large websites into individual files this is a must have!
    I made a suggestion about changing the naming of files but I guess the moderators didn't find it even WORTHY of posting in Dear Xara Web Designer
    If anyone else doesn't want to go thru the extra task of using placeholders,
    you should make your voice heard.

You can use the actual image as it's own placeholder and then browse it via 'replace with graphic file'.
    You can use this across every page in a website and only need the one original named image.
    This means that you can update an image at any time (and without editing your .web file) simply by uploading a new version of the .png or .jpg with the same name.

(*Currently there is a known bug whereby XWD/X5 will produce a placeholder image, but these can be safely deleted.)