Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default painter problem, i beg of assistance!

hey fellas,
    I am having a verry very frustrating problem with corel painter x.
    I am using a intuituous 3 wacom table.
    And at random times, corel painter shuts off on me, making me loose all my work. And a message pops up saying that " unexpected error has caused the program to stoped working" and then it just shuts off.

IF anyone has nay insight to this issue, I would really appretiate to to hear it.
    IP

Default Re: painter problem, i beg of assistance!

Unfortunately this happens - the only way you can resolve it is if you are able to say exactly what you did before it happened, I presume you are using Vista. I have several programs that do exactly the same - usually when I havent saved my work.

One thing you can do is make sure you are using the latest Wacom driver for your tablet and the latest driver for your graphics card - even if they are new they may not have come with the latest drivers.

Christine
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by evan5 View Post
    hey fellas,
    I am having a verry very frustrating problem with corel painter x.
    I am using a intuituous 3 wacom table.
    And at random times, corel painter shuts off on me, making me loose all my work. And a message pops up saying that " unexpected error has caused the program to stoped working" and then it just shuts off.

IF anyone has nay insight to this issue, I would really appretiate to to hear it.
    Hi evan5,

First, install the Painter X.1 Update if you haven't done that already.

Then, take some time to....

Check these two threads at the Conceptart.org Painter forum to learn how to keep Painter running smoothly and how to speed up your Painter brushes:

Keeping Painter 6 Through Painter X.1 Running Smoothly - Updated February 6, 2008, by Jinny Brown

Hot-rodding Your Brushes in Corel Painter, by John Derry

Apply those suggestions and it may help you to not only speed up Painter X performance, but to prevent losing your work.

Jinny

#
    Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley and The PainterFactory
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Chinese Proverb
    IP

I also am having a crash problem. I have a Mac 0sX Leopard, Painter 11 and Wacom tablet. Faye Sirkis tutorial has brushes I liked bit, Painter says Painter 11 doesn't recognize third party brushes.
    Even if I saved my work it doesn't seem to be saved.
    Very frustrating.http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/mad.gif
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by winniegustafson View Post
    I also am having a crash problem. I have a Mac 0sX Leopard, Painter 11 and Wacom tablet. Faye Sirkis tutorial has brushes I liked bit, Painter says Painter 11 doesn't recognize third party brushes.
    Even if I saved my work it doesn't seem to be saved.
    Very frustrating.http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/mad.gif
    Hi,

Not sure what you mean by "Painter says Painter 11 doesn't recognize third party brushes", unless you're trying to use Photoshop brushes in Corel Painter.

As to "third party" Corel Painter brushes, we create, use, and share them all the time. Some are from third party Painter book CDs/DVDs, some downloaded from the Web. I have dozens installed and working in several Painter versions (have six full Painter versions installed on this computer) including some from other Corel Painter instructors, some from friends on the Web, and lots I've created myself.

Tell us if you're getting an error message, exactly what it says, and check to make sure the Fay Sirkus brushes are meant to be used in Painter or Photoshop. Photoshop brushes can't be used in Painter and vice-versa.

If that's not the cause, it would seem logical to contact Fay Sirkus and see what she says.

Also, you might want to check at The PainterFactory as there have been lots of issues with Painter X/X.1 and Painter 11 in Mac Leopard reported there.

Though Corel has released the Hot Fix 1 (patch) for Painter 11 in Windows, they haven't yet released a patch for Mac users.

Good luck!

Jinny

#
    Jinny Brown
    IP

Regarding the third party brushes: I'm referring to brushes that Fay Sirkis has on her PAinterX DVD. Customer service tells me that Fay's brushes are not considered compatible with Painter 11 because Painter 11 was completely restructured so that it would be compatible with Mac Intel. Therefore, third party brushes such as Fay's don't fit, so says the customer service rep at Corel.
    What I'm finding is that the brushes she has are greyed out when I try to load.http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/confused.gif
    IP

Hi Winnie,

Post your last message at The PainterFactory in the thread you started there. Then maybe someone from Corel will see it and be able to verify what Corel Customer Service told you, or tell you if what they told you is not true.

I suspect Customer Service is mistaken but since I'm not a Mac user and don't have Fay's brushes, it's not possible for me to check this for you.

When you post the message, be sure to say something clear about it being a Mac Intel related problem so another Mac user with the same OS version can maybe help.

Again, I suggest also contacting Fay Sirkus as she should know about this and have an answer for you, or at least when hearing from you she'll be informed this is a problem.

Jinny
    Jinny Brown
    IP

I upgraded to Painter 11 and had the same problem with some of Faye's brushes and in particular, importing the workspaces from her Paint Like A Master and Weddings and Portraits DVDs. They all worked fine in Painter X, but not in XI. I am a Windows XP SP2 user. I will check back to see if anyone has an answer.
    IP