Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Base line when adjusting align?

Hi,

Here's something I was trying to search the forum for but I ran out of patience...
    I know this stuff is called "base line" of the text and I know how to manipulate it in CorelDraw (where you can set the alignment according to the real base line of the text) but I can't find it in Xara.

Here's the description:

I don't know why I don't know how to set it or I never really wanted to do it (that's strange, though) but I just came across a really annoying thing...

I write a text (not within a box but one click and writing) and then another one:

hello xara

and then I want to align it equally but make it straight in a horizontal line (I don't know why, I often confuse this because in my opinion something horizontal is something from left to right straight - anyway, I hope you know what I mean), just like up here above... I choose "selection bounds", then for horizontal distribute equi-spaced but then what to do with vertical?
    When I choose align top - then "xara" goes up a bit, when I align center - then "xara" goes up less than before, when I make it to the bottom, then everything is OK as long as I don't use a word with "j", "y", or something else...then hello and xara go down

hello xara goodbye

because "g" and "y" here make the definite bottom (the tails make it) and "hello" and "xara" go down to this definite bottom..

I end up with not really straight text.

Any guesses how to do it?

Of course manual base line adjustment is out of question (it's not professional and precise enough).

Don't tell me I can't set the base line in Xara?

I get a proper base line when I draw with a box.. but then I have to align it "to the top"... but then I can't make it equally distributed (left-right)...

Here's the thing - not straight like I want it to be:

http://www.sponsi.net/straight.jpg

Default Re: Base line when adjusting align?

When you place the text cursor on the stage keep it short(draw a little from left to right)
    you'll see a red line,that's the base line
    You can use it to fit text on curve(which doesn't have to be a curved line at all)

Use a guideline and snap the text to it.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

When you have the text tool selected, the Text toolbar opens along the top of your workspace.
    I've highlighted in red The tools you need. Hover the mouse over them and you'll get a tool hint.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	text toolbar.png 
Views:	192 
Size:	10.6 KB 
ID:	62042  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Thanks for your replies.

haakoo I'm not sure I understand you, but I'll try to look for this red line..

iamtheblues I don't want to manually adjust this base line

Setting it on a curve is the last thing I wanted to do.. I thought there would be something like "align it bottom - to the base line indefinitely" or something...

EDIT:

Nope, this is not what I'm looking for.. still can't make it work out... well, I guess it's one of the things so basic and yet absent in Xtreme... : (
    Last edited by Sponsi; 06 June 2009 at 05:09 PM.

Assuming they are separate pieces of text . Select them all, go to Arrange Menu/Alignment...and use these settings.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	align.png 
Views:	186 
Size:	8.0 KB 
ID:	62043  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

I know that...

it's just that I can't align it correctly with respect to the real base line of a font..

HELLO XARA GOODBYE

doesn't have tails under...

hello xara goodbye

has got tails above: "h", "d" and "b"
    and under: "g" and "y"..

I can't make it straight in terms of horizontal line..

Look:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pic1.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	62069

Name:	pic2.jpg 
Views:	159 
ID:	62070

Name:	pic3.jpg 
Views:	173 
ID:	62071
    Last edited by steve.ledger; 07 June 2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Remove oversized images - resize and attached to post.

I repeat ... for those who missed it.

"Use a guideline and snap the text to it".

Is that too easy for you?
    Keith
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Your method doesn't work Bob, as Sponsi said, the decender is aligned, not the bottom of the text.
    Keith

Guideline - OK, I know
    but I thought I could find the real base line settings...

As I said earlier, it looks like it's not present in XX...

EDIT:

Guidelines "see" only the base line of the "tail" (e.g. in "y"), not the base line I'd like it to see... this sucks!
    Last edited by Sponsi; 06 June 2009 at 05:53 PM.