Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: OT - Forum Slow

Am the only one ?, I find the X forum very slow to load as the browser hangs while waiting for a reply from the brie.popco.com server to place the advert. It eventually times out and the ad does not appear.

Will this improve when the forum moves to the xara server ?

Am the only one ?, I find the X forum very slow to load as the browser hangs while waiting for a reply from the brie.popco.com server to place the advert. It eventually times out and the ad does not appear.

Will this improve when the forum moves to the xara server ?

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Hi Frank,

it's not the fault of i-us or infopop - the backbone to the brie.popco.com server is slow or the brie.popco.com server itself faces an overload. Try to trace route the forum, and you will see that this connection is speedy.

The problem with ad banners when they are delivered from another server is that the operator of the forum server doesn't have any influence at all on the ad banner server.

jens g.r. benthien
    creative director
    Genesis II Networks, LLC
    Charlotte, NC 28208
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

These banners will be gone soon, so that will no doubt speed things up for you. From my location here in France, however, I don't find them a problem.

<blockquote>
    <font color=green>Chris Dickman</font>
    http://www.i-us.com/images/sig.gif
    </blockquote>

No banner problems for me (I usually have images off anyway), but I'm always getting OpenTopic-is-down-reload-until-it-works screens, submissions that hang and double-posts. UBB seems to be okay when hosted at other sites, so Infopop's probably to blame.

Will talkgraphics continue using OpenTopic (at the same address, even), or is something radically different planned?

The forums were indeed less reliable than they should have been after launch but the developer has been working to improve stabiilty and performance and they seem pretty good now. Surprised to hear you're having trouble posting, for example. It will be up to Xara to switch to a new forums application, if it warrants it. To others reading this -- are you experiencing significant problems using the forums?

Chris Dickman
    i/us

Winters where it\'s cold, summers where it\'s hot

Dennis Cox

<a href=http://www.inconnect.com/~dennisco/>Carillus Design</a>
    <a href=http://www.djart.com>DJArt & Design</a>

....except occasionally around 6.00pm UK time - Penny O'Rorke