Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XX5 freehand tool doesn't deselect by default...

Just want to clarify something...

One of the new features in XX5 is that lines made by the freehand tool are deselected after they are drawn.

When I first tried out XX5, though, the lines stayed selected after I drew them. I had to use the new version of XaReg, which has an option to deselect the lines. (This works great, by the way!)

Is there an option in XX5 itself to have the lines deselected after drawing, or can that only be set through the registry or XaReg?

Thanks!

Default Re: XX5 freehand tool doesn't deselect by default...

There is no adjustment within XX5 for the Freehand Tools auto connect that I am aware of.

The default in XX5 is for a half second delay before the lines will automatically connect. You can increase that delay time up to a full second using XaReg rather than turning on Auto Deselect. Use the number control to the right of the checkbox for Auto Deselect.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    There is no adjustment within XX5 for the Freehand Tools auto connect that I am aware of.

The default in XX5 is for a half second delay before the lines will automatically connect. You can increase that delay time up to a full second using XaReg rather than turning on Auto Deselect. Use the number control to the right of the checkbox for Auto Deselect.
    EXCELLENT NEW FEATURE ... or bug fix?!

I can't believe that a bug fix can be dressed up a NEW feature ... it is hillarious ... when they make the contour tool (sp?) default 1 instead of 4 will that me a new version release NEW FEATURE?

Now making edit'able / definable stroke profiles for the freehand tool ... now, that would be a new feature. A Tweek of something existing is not!
    Last edited by Soquili; 05 June 2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: corrected misspelling

Thanks for the info, Soquili! I thought I might just have been overlooking something in the options.

Quote Originally Posted by JokeArtist View Post

I can't believe that a bug fix can be dressed up a NEW feature .
    its not a bug fixed - there was no bug - its an enhancement

oh and I never use the contour tool I don't care about the contour tool I wouldn't miss it if xara took it out completely [I only say this because of your attitude ]

I certainly wouldn't loose sleep over the default value

There are lots of default values I don't like from the dpi of bitmap copy to line width of the pen tool c la vie
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    There are lots of default values I don't like from the dpi of bitmap copy to line width of the pen tool c la vie
    I'm with you there. But my attitude is, why not give the user the freedom to change them? The "Options" dialog has hardly changed a bit in years.

By the way, you can change the default line width, just as you can change the default line colour, fill colour etc. My default line width is 0.75px, default fill is pale yellow, default outline is red. Just set it in your default template and voilą.
    Last edited by kinetica; 05 June 2009 at 02:19 PM.

true and you can change the bitmap copy dpi using xreg

poor old xara they cannot do everything at once

PS the option dialog has changed quite a bit in xxp5, mostly due to the 'XWD' side enhancements I think - so, maybe in due course
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

That was supposed to be the only drawing feature that was added for X5. Sounds like it is still very weak. I will stick with drawing with my tablet in Illustrator.
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    PS the option dialog has changed quite a bit in xxp5
    I wouldn't know... I'm too busy reading the sudden explosion of posts to download XXP5

All in good time