Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Default Re: Version 5.1 Launched

Come on, Xara people and "5"-enthusiasts.. let's make it obvious... neither Xara Web Designer nor Xara 5 is the only software one needs to create web pages... it's so simple (meaning "poor") that one could only create some crap html-based "under construction" site and not a portal or something.. web design today is all about (CMS) systems and programming templates, using frameworks, etc. Taking "5" into web design is a HUGE mistake in opinion, not the right direction (regarding commercial succes, happiness of users, etc.).

I'd rather see better export tools (cutting for templates, etc. - it's something which has annoyed me since the beginning and I wrote about it somewhere here on this forum) so that real designers could design, then cut and hand over pieces to programmers (well, I'm a designer and a programmer as one).
    When I tried the trial of Web Designer I thought "OMG, they too are trying to create a foolproof web design program... thank god they left Xtreme as it is".. and now we have "5".. "more into web design"... yeah, you mean an HTML site "just as it is"... suuuuxx... I'm not sure I'd rather buy Paint Shop Pro X2 (in fact, I'm waiting for "X3") instead of taking an upgrade of Xtreme 4... and that is so sad because I love Xtreme 4 - it's my replacement for CorelDraw when I have to design for the Web... I knew Xtreme is not purely for web designers (that's why I thought to myself "OK, they don't have nice export tools but I can manage somehow" and now they make X5 which is supposed to help web designers.. but I can't think of any change that would help me... maaaybe the new layer gallery... don't talk about this font-simulation or something... who cares about letters written in a graphics program when you end up with cascade style sheet files anyway?

I know how they should do it.
    If they wanted a really strong web design foolproof program they would be more concerned about creating system-based web sites, that is they would implement e.g. plugins, tools for Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress templates... with updates (when a new version of a system comes out) - THAT would be nice. Now the X. Designer is like whats-its-name program for Apple.. I don't remember, one of my students showed it to me... it's like five clicks and you have a website.. and no panels, no PHP or something... it's so "American"... nothing can be changed without this Apple program...

EDIT:
    Hell with that.. I'm going to buy X5 upgrade.. just to hand you guys the 30 pounds as my appreciation (I've created some nice web sites with X4) and to show my hope that "6" will REALLY make a huge step forward.
    Last edited by Sponsi; 05 June 2009 at 05:02 PM.
    IP

It makes pretty websites for people who have exactly zero website building skills - that's a pretty big plus I'd say.
    IP

I suppose i'll have to wait and see but being totally disinterested in Xara in any web capacity whatever I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the proportion of effort spent (going by the documentation) on a side-salad to the main dish.

I really wish Xara would focus on building their core strength and not be so insistent on expending the lion's share of resources in areas that are auxiliary to their mainstay...

This to me looks to be an exercise in bloating the application at the expense of more fundamental developments.
    A course which Corel followed for years which resulted in an application so big you need a case of Cds to install it and it still looks basically the same anyway.

Updating the layers menu sounds promising... that needed to happen....
    But of 100+ updates quoted: only a one line reference to a drawing tool tweak???

That says it all to me. I certainly hope they don't continue down the same path as corel did... if thats the case you can look forward to 10 years of vertually no substantial developments to the core of the app (vector illustration) and a "terror bite of crapola" tacked on the side.

But anyway who knows... the real vector "nitty gritty" stuff is coming up right?! (I hope this is just an adjustment and not a course change...)
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by kinetica View Post
    It makes pretty websites for people who have exactly zero website building skills - that's a pretty big plus I'd say.
    ...which, I believe, is the point.

Nowhere have I seen anything from Xara & Co that says they're competing with Dreamweaver or anyone else for complex sites. In the same way, Xtreme's flash capability is not intended to compete with Flash or SWiSHmax. That doesn't mean it isn't useful to a lot of people.
    IP

including those of us with zero interest in commercial web building/mastering [or flash even]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by kinetica View Post
    OK, but I have to have dinner at 8.30 tonight and then I'll be watching TV later on, so I can't wait for ever...

Please don`t confuse your brain with mine.
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP

Arrow Future upgrades?

I noticed that there is missing an option for an upgrade in the help menu, makes me think how are you gonna perform upgrades? Visit Xara web, download newer version and install manually??
    IP

Great news. Congratulations, Xara team.

Content aware resize - absolutely crazy feature, moreover - it works!

I like new object gallery. White balance control too.
    Regards, Dmitry.
    Useful utils for Xara: http://xaraxtv.at.tut.by
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ankhor View Post
    Please don`t confuse your brain with mine.
    Ah too late. I did. Oh well... I'll give you your half back and take back my whole.
    IP

Lets face it pro designers are jealous and watching over their backs with this product. I just customized mine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	customize.jpg 
Views:	558 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	62056  
    IP