Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Default Re: Version 5.1 Launched

Quote Originally Posted by Sponsi View Post
    I couldn't find more than 2-3 differences or examples of something which couldn't be done already...
    Here's a list of what's new in Xtreme 5 Sponsi
    IP

Re: Version 5.1 Launched

I upgraded to Extreme 4 less than a week ago! Do I get a free upgrade to 5? You probably have not had time to send me the CD yet. BTW, I have a lot of problems with the text tool in the e-version of Extreme 4.

Regards,
    Gus Skiaker
    Last edited by Soquili; 05 June 2009 at 01:59 AM. Reason: removed order number.
    IP

Hi Gus,

These forums are viewable by the public and not directly associated with Xara Group Ltd. I removed your order number from the post to protect it from possible unscrupulous eyes.

Information about upgrading also has a line about anyone that purchased Xtreme 4 since May 1st 2009 getting a free upgrade.
    http://www.xara.com/us/products/xtreme/upgrade/
    Last edited by Soquili; 05 June 2009 at 02:07 AM.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

sledger ...I know.. it's not that I haven't read that... it's just I can't see the changes and I can't believe it's "5"... I'd like to see more of them.
    IP

Thumbs up Re: Version 5.1 Launched

I'm looking forward to playing around with the new features. I've already shelled out my $54 US (+ $8 S/H) for the upgrade.

The features that did it for me right off include, but are not limited to, the following:
    • New Object Gallery and New Object Gallery Features/Functions
    • Multi-stage Transparencies
    • Object Locking (Pro version only)
    • PDF Links to Pages & Anchors (I wasted a lot of time trying to find a workaround for this in XXP4 to no avail.)
    • Improved Adobe EPS and PDF Import
    • Direct Page Resizing
    • Drag n Drop Page Re-ordering (I always thought the 'Move Page Up/Down' options were klunky and a total PITA for documents comprised of more than 3 or 4 pages.)

Any word on when the Version 5 CDs will start to ship?

Can't wait for the weekend,
    HayTay
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Sponsi View Post
    d I can't believe it's "5"... I'd like to see more of them.
    Wow, OK.
    IP

Great update anybody knows where can I find/check out:

'Windows Compatible Font rendering' mode (to adjust font metrics to emulate the incorrect Windows font rendering used by Windows browsers)

Is this what I hope for? to render text without antialias, like in browser, if yes I hope you can use it for selected text/object?
    http://www.rarian.com the design & development company.
    IP

Xtreme5
    Firstly I have to say I have no idea of the amount of work involved in the release of an updated piece of software. It might be a matter of hundreds of elfish like creatures beavering away all day and night, seven days a week for months or it might be a pasty faced youth in a room, with a packet of chocolate biscuits and a latte in a paper cup, for a couple of days over a weekend. Because of this I am loath to criticise.
    However joining two applications together and calling it something new will be taken by some to be a bit of a letdown.
    Page resizing, spellchecking, a slider to make photographs go from a bit blueish through to a bit orangy and better control of transparency is hardly not going to be there if you join an application that has those features to an application that doesn’t have them.
    The layers gallery update is very welcome, I think, time will tell if it’s an improvement.
    I had a moment of excitement when I spotted the mask tool and immediately loaded a photo, masked an area and tried to adjust hue, saturation and/or levels etc which came as a letdown when I found I needed to read some instructions regarding what it was really for, namely so I could load the only photograph I have of a ball on my not-dead-yet lawn, mask it and stretch the lawn to make it look bigger without the ball becoming an ellipse—interesting, but hardly essential unless I’m missing something, but I’m speaking as someone who has never used the contour tool.
    I read that free hand drawing is now improved and that I might not need to tape the escape key down while drawing but I’ve yet to explore that.
    Welcome though any improvements are, I can’t see that it justifies the ‘5’ apart from the fact that it’s a better looking number for the front of the forthcoming book than ‘4.5’, which as we all know already has a ‘5’ on it.
    Needless to say I'm handing over my £39 upgrade fee, so disregard all the previous.
    Derek
    Last edited by masque; 05 June 2009 at 12:46 PM.
    IP

WD wasn't combined into Xtreme 5, WD was extracted from Xtreme 5 and released earlier when the relevant work was completed. This is clear from the fact that WD/V5 web features are a substantial update to what was already in V4. V5 is a serious upgrade from WD/V4 html features because unlike WD, you can use all of Xara's drawing features. I gave my site a visual revamp to illustrate this.

Content aware scaling has been the source of a lot of talk since Adobe bought out the inventors of the original technology and stuffed it into Photoshop. Xara's implementation is the world's fastest and very slick. Xara's version does lack the ability to force areas to be removed before others however.

Spell checking and multi-stage transparency have been two long asked for features on TG. HTML was given priority because producing websites is more important for most than producing web graphics alone nowadays apparently. So what was done does seem to make sense, even though at first glance it appears somewhat disappointing.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Xhris View Post
    WD wasn't combined into Xtreme 5, WD was extracted from Xtreme 5 and released earlier when the relevant work was completed. This is clear from the fact that WD/V5 web features are a substantial update to what was already in V4. V5 is a serious upgrade from WD/V4 html features because unlike WD, you can use all of Xara's drawing features. I gave my site a visual revamp to illustrate this.
    So let me see if my brain comprehends what you are saying.
    If I would have kept the money I used for buying XWD5 in my pocket,
    I could have had a far better working XWD5 in XX5?
    be aware, not to become a ware.
    IP