Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Default Re: Version 5.1 Launched

Drawing
    - Slightly improved sketch freehand drawing, allowing rapid repeated freehand strokes

This is the only drawing improvement or new feature ?
    I find it very disappointing. Most of the upgrade is just web site WYSIWYG fluff. This will probably be the first time I will not upgrade.
    Sorry Xara,
    Bruce
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Happiness is free for the taking, Please take some for yourself
    Artist For Hire
    IP

It is obvious that a lot of hard work has gone into making this update to Xtreme. Thanks to all the Xara development team for an excellent job.
    Just an innocent question and not a dig at any individual. Why are some people thanking the Xara team? They're not philanthropists. I'll happily pay my £49 to upgrade, but I'm not going to thank them for taking my money!

The new features seem OK to me, but nothing that's going to set my heart racing. Already looking forward to 5.5.
    IP

well I thanked them because they gave me what I asked for - [well 2 out of three which aint bad] - and because I appreciate the direction they are taking [insofar as I can judge it]
    EDIT:
    Make that three out of four - I have just been looking at the object gallery and that is a big enough improvement to qualify - more could be done, but its sweet
    - particularly like the ability to lock single objects on the layer, and to select components of a group from the gallery
    Last edited by handrawn; 04 June 2009 at 09:17 PM.
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I am thanking the Xara team also. The new version just blew me away! Fantastic stuff!

Among many, many new features you can now place graphic objects in the text flow. How sweet is that?!
    IP

I think 5.1 is sweet and worth the upgrade price at the very least. the new object gallery is a big step in the right direction. Now I just have to keep nagging for nested layers. Have nested groups... just want my layers and eat them too. Or was that cake?
    John Rayner
    For my Photography see:
    http://www.draginet.com
    Facebook
    IP

Wow, I wasn't expecting a new version of Xtreme so soon! I thought there would be beta testing, etc., talked about on the forums like there was with version 4.

Anyway, the new layers features sound really good - paste retains layers, object thumbnails (in Pro), locking/hiding individual objects, etc.

I'm also glad about the multiple transparency stops and the freehand sketching fix.

I know it's a little soon to be talking about next version, but hopefully brushes and stroke shapes will be next on Xara's agenda...
    IP

lets hope so
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by PixelDust View Post
    Wow, I wasn't expecting a new version of Xtreme so soon! I thought there would be beta testing, etc., talked about on the forums like there was with version 4.
    I've never seen official Beta testing talked about on the open forums.
    As far as I am aware, Xara's beta testing phase takes place privately for many months prior to any release.
    Often minor patches or updates are released to fix any user identified bugs which have been found after release - I'd expect some missed bugs to turn up in the coming weeks with version 5 also
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I've never seen official Beta testing talked about on the open forums.
    As far as I am aware, Xara's beta testing phase takes place privately for many months prior to any release.
    Often minor patches or updates are released to fix any user identified bugs which have been found after release - I'd expect some missed bugs to turn up in the coming weeks with version 5 also
    I think you're right about that - the talk on the forums was about patches for XX4, not beta testing.
    IP

You know what?
    I ran XX 4 and 5 simultaneously and checked all the options from top to bottom on the left menu, including suboptions and functions... I couldn't find more than 2-3 differences or examples of something which couldn't be done already...

I'll thank Xara too. Thank you, not buying.
    I'll wait for XX 6.
    IP