Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Version 5.1 Launched

hummm

so people like keith [and for that matter me] do not use the program professionally - is that what you are saying, because that is what you seem to imply

no matter, for it is your opinion [and nothing more] - as for a whole thread of people that agree with you - which one would that be?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sgiff View Post
    One of the main reasons for adding a decent layering system is to be able to export to Photoshop with layering that is compatible.
    Where did you see this? Has Xara said this was their main goal?

Here's the X5 help excerpt for PSD handling:

Exporting a Photoshop PSD file
    Photoshop is a bitmap editor, so when exporting to PSD format all the vector objects in Xara Xtreme Pro 5 are rasterized. You can select the resolution (dpi) when exporting.

Always save your work in Xara Xtreme Pro 5 prior to exporting. Then, if you wish to alter your original objects in the future, just load Xara Xtreme Pro 5, make any changes and then export the required objects again.

To export as a PSD file choose "File -> Export" then select Adobe Photoshop in the Save as Type list.

Layers
    Layers in Xara Xtreme Pro 5 are retained when exporting to PSD format. Each layer is rasterized as a separate PSD layer, including layer names. Layers visibility is also passed through, so layers set to invisible in Xara Xtreme Pro 5 will be exported and set to invisible in Photoshop. You can turn the layers on and off in Photoshop using the Layers palette.
    Importing a Photoshop PSD file
    To import a PSD file, import the file as normal with File > Import, or just drag and drop the .psd file into Xara Xtreme Pro 5.

Attention: Only Xara Xtreme Pro can import PSD files with 16bit colors or CMYK color model
    The layers in the PSD file, and the layer visibility setting will be preserved and will become Xara Xtreme Pro 5 layers. You can view them by opening the Object Gallery.

The Photoshop blend modes Normal, Multiply and Screen are compatible with the equivalent Xara Xtreme Pro 5 transparency types Mix, Stain and Bleach and will remain editable in Xara Xtreme Pro 5 using the Transparency Tool.

Photoshop calls it Opacity, but it's the same thing as Transparency (just the other way around), i.e. a 90% opacity value in Photoshop becomes a 10% transparency setting in Xara Xtreme Pro 5.
    Tip: if you have separate objects in Photoshop that you wish to be able to move and change independently of one another in Xara Xtreme Pro 5, place them on separate layers in Photoshop before exporting.
    IP

There was a whole thread on the Object manager gripes last evening early this morning and I guess like so many times the censors here are quick to delete threads that might be construed as having anything negative to say about XARA corporation or their software. I'm sure there are plenty of others that saw it that know I am telling the truth. As far as "where did I see that statement regarding Photoshops and Layering" I never claimed to see it, it was a logical conclusion that I and many others have come to based on actually having worked in a real production environment in the real world which you would clearly support if you had the same experience.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sgiff View Post
    There was a whole thread on the Object manager gripes last evening early this morning and I guess like so many times the censors here are quick to delete threads that might be construed as having anything negative to say about XARA corporation or their software.
    Do you mean this thread?
    http://www.talkgraphics.com/showthread.php?t=39162
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    Exactly, that one, I couldn't find it so apparently I'm an ass for making that statement but I stand by everything else I said relating to the discussion.
    IP

thanks for the link - yes I saw that thread - by no means a one-sided argument
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

I have no problem with negative comments. I also am not happy with the extent of the revamp of the layers gallery, and I also would have liked to see a nested layers function. However, I do draw professionally and use layers extensively. I just don't see how you made the leap that "One of the main reasons for adding a decent layering system is to be able to export to Photoshop with layering that is compatible", and still contend that one of the main reasons we need better layer control is ease of use generally, and nothing to do with photoshop specifically. However, that's your opinion (nothing more).
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

so my 5 cents
    i observe X since the very begining
    it was a great tool upto X4 because unfortunately X4 has extremely annoying problem - the renderer
    for me it was crap (sorry guys i don't care having renderer 3% or even 30% faster if it fails on every refresh)
    i know someone will say it's my HW or SW or FW or so
    but i tried X4 on many machines
    (even export tool preview was screwed)

now!
    it's strange but i try X5 for few days and i don't see renderer failures
    is it me (i'm blind) or is it X5 (it's fixed)
    IP

well its early days yet - but now you come to mention it the rendering on zooming does seem smoother..
    Nothing lasts forever...
    IP

Was there ever a Xara upgrade that didn't result in strong differences of opinion?

I've upgraded, because it's cheap, and I really like Xara, and they are doing a good job and deserve to be paid for it.

I do get the impression that the software is getting a bit bulky though. For example, I'm not sure why it's all that useful to have WD built in, rather than as a separate-but-blends-in-seamlessly app which you can buy if you ever need to design a web page.

I'm still a little surprised that Xara hasn't made it possible for users (and Xara, of course) to write add-ons (modules, etc., whatever you like to call them), which don't change the fabulously slick look and feel of Xara or the core front end but just add a new toolbar to drive the add-on. (WD could be such an add-on, for that matter.) There are heaps of graphicky things that would benefit from having the ease of the Xara UI in front of them, but which would not appeal to everyone -- which is the strength of an optional add-on. It's been done very successfully elsewhere, and I'll wager a fair amount of useful tools would appear, to Xara's benefit, without the company having to lay out any money for it.

I'd also like to be able to design my own dashed lines (q.v. Draw+ back in the old Acorn days) and arrowheads and tails. Oh -- and a "printable" toggle icon to sit next to the "visible" and "locked" icons in the layers gallery. I'm happy to wait though!

I've always been a staunch Xara fan and none of this is intended as criticism -- just thoughts!
    Anton
    IP