Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Animation Help

Arrow Animation Help

Hi All.

I am new to this forum and I am looking for a bit of help.

Reading one of the other posts, 'ankhor' from the Netherlands created some animation of a football shield, in reply to 'shaun007' asking for help.

I have Xara Xtreme Pro and Xara 3D.

Can 'ankhor' or someone else tell me how that animation was created and on what package?

I have done quite a bit of animation using Xara 3D but I have never managed to animate a picture. Xara 3D has it's own look, which to be fair is not quite the look of a picture.

I'd be grateful if someone coulde help.

Many thanks.

Default Re: Animation Help

Hi Rik, yes, we can probably help you. You have the programs you need, so just post the images you want to use and tell us how you want them to look. There will be plenty of responses to tell you if what you want is possible.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Arrow Re: Animation Help

Hi Guys.

As instructed. I have attached a .jpg file of a thistle.

The thistle is on a white background.

How can this background be removed and then sent to Xara 3D?

Where, animation would be then be dead easy!
    Even for me.

I just don't understand what you need to do in Xtreme.

Step-by-Step PLEASE!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

quick method to get the traced vector shape - be better with a higher resolution image
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	betra method a.gif 
Views:	207 
Size:	25.8 KB 
ID:	61739   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	betra method b.gif 
Views:	203 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	61740  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	betra method c.gif 
Views:	206 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	61741  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

notes:

the bitmap copy in part 2 is a true colour one [not default true colour + alpha]

instead of using cloning and bitmap copy you could use the photo tool, to adjust levels for example.. but again not so good on a low res image
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Depending on your skills with the shape editor or pen tools, you could hand trace over the image to create your own vector image. (Mine's deliberately incomplete)
    The background image is done using the Colour options in Xara 3D as shown below left to import the bitmap of your choice.
    Choose "Background" from the drop-down menu, and make sure the Texture tickbox is checked.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	options.png 
Views:	188 
Size:	2.7 KB 
ID:	61765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thistle.gif 
Views:	192 
Size:	295.6 KB 
ID:	61766  

** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

Both of you - excellent work. And so speedy too! I don't have Xara 3D, but it looks like a fun product.

Instead of using the bitmap tracer why not just hand trace it above the original jpeg in a new layer? Use the site search for "Manual" or "Hand" Tracing and you will find a video from Egg tracing a cow. In the end you have a vector drawing which has fewer nodes and easier to manage and it is also good practice in drawing using Xara.
    Design is thinking made visual.

First, a thankyou to you guys for your help.

The attached .xar file shows my skill level with Xara.
    Not bad but absolutely nothing compared to some of the artwork I have seen from various users of Xara. I am in awe at the skill level of these guys and gals.

whilst I can do a few things on Xara, I have never worked with or really understood vectors etc...

'handrawn' very kindly gave a quick reply but I could not gt the same result when I got to stage 2 step 2. when I created a bitmap copy, my bitmap copy did not have a white background? Then my iamge had too many jagged edges and so on.

Then, I don't understand how you guys can inset/copy/open an image in Xara 3D with the proper colours and shading, like 'handrawn' has.

In fact, 'iamtheblues' has produced a fantastic result also.
    Very smooth edges etc... I cannot get smooth edges on my work.

But, when ever I open or copy anything into Xara 3D, I cannot make it look like the example 'iamtheblues' and 'handrawn' produced.
    Whenever I paste anything into Xara 3D, it always looks like the attached .x3d file.
    I cannot make it look like a proper picture would be and you guys seem to be able to do without too much trouble!

I have a lot to learn and I am sure I am in the right place for that.

Thanks so far and I look forward to more of your kind instruction/s.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Well, to be honest, Rik I can see nothing wrong with your work in both files. You have obviously got a good working knowledge of Xtreme and the X3D file is almost done. You seem to only be lacking the final step.
    When you have made the outline and copied it to the clipboard, you need to export your result as a bitmap so that it can be used as a texture. I usually export as a .png file with alpha channel transparency at 300 dpi.
    Here are a couple of X3D screenshots you may find useful.
    The Texture dialogue will import your bitmap if you have the settings shown. The shadow screen shot is merely a hint, I find that no shadow it the best setting for animated .gif files.
    It just looks cleaner to me. But that's just personal preference. Great work so far, look forward to seeing how you progress.
    Saludos,
    Bob.

Name:	texture.png 
Views:	172 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	61771   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shadow.png 
Views:	174 
Size:	2.8 KB 
ID:	61772