Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Size of XaraX1

Was about to uninstall XaraX via Add|Remove (WindowsXP) and keep XaraX1 and noticed the major difference in program sizes.

What happened to the lean and mean machine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xaraxandson.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	19901  

Was about to uninstall XaraX via Add|Remove (WindowsXP) and keep XaraX1 and noticed the major difference in program sizes.

What happened to the lean and mean machine?

As long as it doesn't slow things down or cause bugs, I'm happy... hard drives keep getting cheaper and bigger. My C: drive is 40gb with only programs, OS and bin files, while all my data files are now on a new 120gb Western Digital Caviar D: drive that was less then $100
    I remember back in the early 1990's thinking that a 500kb program was too big for my 2mb drive http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif
    Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 LGA1155 Intel Z68 ATXMOB - Intel core I7-2600 3.4GH LGA 1155 - 16gb DDR3 SDRAM - Corsair CX750M PS - GeForce GTX650 2GB - SB X-Fi Extreme Music
    Master C: Crucial 200GB SSD - Master D: 1.0 TB - E: 24x DVD/CD R/RW - F: Crucial 275GB SSD - Windows 7 Pro 64bit SP1

I can remember when programs came on 720Kb floppies. Size is relative. However I suspect a lot of this is the movies, not the core program. Let's face it many tiff files are bigger than this. Doane is correct, memory and hard drive sizes expand expotentially year on year. You can't expect software houses to restrict themselves to 1995's limitations.
    Why remove XaraX anyway? I've just found I've still got CorelXara installed as well.
    Egg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	!1a_background_attribute2.gif 
Views:	346 
Size:	1.8 KB 
ID:	2113  
    Egg

Intel i7 - 4790K Quad Core + 16 GB Ram + NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

I planned to remove XaraX as X1 seemed to be very stable (and I wanted to see if perhaps it might cure my slow toolbar icon rollout problem in X1? Although Charles may be right in saying this is due to the nVidia driver - even though I do have the latest driver installed)

As to the 83mb size versus the old 12mb, sure it's still small compared to such gorilla apps AI and PS. It just struck me that a seven-fold increase in size for rather modest surface increases in features and performance is surprising. I guess most of the changes are "under the hood".

Just to ease your concern, I checked inside the Xara X1 folder on my hard drive and discovered that about 69 of those new megabytes are the tutorial movies, and a couple of the megabytes are the new Picture Editor. Xara X1 itself is the same size as its predecessor.

Glen
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

Carygee,

To play it safe I would keep X installed if harddisk space is not an issue for you.

As noted in other threads, some folks have had PROBLEMS with opening non-X1 file versions.

Regards,
    Glass-Half-Empty John

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

1/4 of the "xara x1" size is the latest movie. 20+ Mb.
    John/DOT

Carygee,

I can confirm that the size reported in the Windows Add/Remove Programs place is calculated by adding the size of all the files/folders underneath a certain folder. If you install X¹ and don't download any of the demo movies, then you will see its size in the same region as Xara X. GroWeb correctly points out that the demo movies are about 69mb.

Wait until you install from the CD - there are lots of resources that you can install which pushes up the install size, but are well worth it.

Yes, disk space is cheap, but Xara X¹ itself still has a very small footprint and is still blisteringly quick!

AlexL

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

Hi AlexL,

So... when is the CD release?
    John/DOT