Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XAR File Question

Last weekend I created something special (in my opinion) and today I cannot edit the graphic in question, therefore I am trying to reproduce it but so far I am not having any luck .

Is it possible to unravel the contents of the .xar file to identify the attributes that make up my file in question .

I wish to avoid posting the file in question for now.

Thank you, DiscoverIT

Default Re: XAR File Question

I think you need to be a little more specific.

Is the image or object you are trying to copy a bitmap? And if not, in what way are you unable to edit the object or objects?

Are they grouped? If so ungroup and see if you can edit. If you find an selection is grouped, make a duplicate of the group and try to edit the duplicate. Xtreme for example may remove a shadow or transparency when you ungroup a selection. And so it is good to have the original in case you need to recreate the shadow or transparency.

locked layer?
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Try going to the File Menu/Document Info...
    The dialogue box that opens may give you a clue.
    Saludos,
    Bob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doc info.png 
Views:	226 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	61669  
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

This is where the problem lies therein in so much is when you save and reopen the same file, it does not reload the undo steps needed to unravel it!

All I will say at this stage, it started off as a rectangle with some linear fill colours, added a transparency fill, combined it with some text and finished it off with a bevelling.

There is nothing to ungroup, all done on a single layer and according to the Document Information it has only one object and two bitmaps. Not sure where the bitmaps comes into it though?

I will perserve for a few more days .

Thank you for your replies, Discover IT

DiscoverIT when the file is saved the undo information is not saved. You can only undo the steps performed in the currently active session.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

In the process of working on my graphic, I was using an object from the fill gallery (forgot that it was classed as a bitmap!).

It now transpires that in my graphic, that copying and pasting an object is doing something completely different to pasting attributes into a new shape! .

I have now replicated and completed the easy bit . Moving onto replicating the end part is probably going to be the hardest bit - will have to spend time on that another day.

Thanks for looking and to those that have responded, Discover IT

Soquili,

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    When the file is saved the undo information is not saved. You can only undo the steps performed in the currently active session.
    I agree with that statement.

Unfortunately I wanted to change something that I did last week and that I could not remember the exact steps I took to get to that stage.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoverIT View Post
    This is where the problem lies therein in so much is when you save and reopen the same file, it does not reload the undo steps needed to unravel it!
    Maybe the option for these steps be left with the user to decide whether to save them with the file or not, when you are adamant that you have finished working on your graphic then these steps can be discarded. It may create bigger file sizes but can be a boon with your "work in progress" files.

DiscoverIT

Hi DiscoverIT,
    Without checking or even seing a screen of the image in question is really hard for us to give you any clue about what´s going on. I´m sure you understand that. Hope you can find how you have done it otherwise you have to give us something to look at...

Lightbulb Re: XAR File Question

Hello DiscoverIt,

This is of no use to you right now, but for future projects, if you download and run XaReg it takes a backup snapshot of your file every time you click "Save" (saved as myfile01.bak, myfile02.bak). This means if you click "Save" every time you complete an important step successfully you will have a backup of every step you took to create the file. To look at any of these files in Xtreme all you need to do is rename the file extension from BAK to XAR and run it. This has saved my heart from stopping now on a number of occasions.