Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Voters
416. This poll is closed
  • Yes

173 41.59%
  • No

195 46.88%
  • Don't know

48 11.54%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Default Re: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Vista was like going back to Windows 2000 Jim?
    IP

I wouldn't say that bad, just a lot of inconsistencies and program crashes. I upgraded the same computer (bought with Vista installed) to 7 and no problems now.

Jim
    IP

Vista was a great improvement over XP in my opinion. I'm still running Vista Ultimate on my development machine.

I have Windows 7 32bit on an old HP desktop and Windows 7 64bit on a new(ish) Dell laptop. Bought the laptop back in February 2010.

Just so I don't misrecollect, I still have two Windows XP Pro SP3 machines, a Windows 2000 Pro machine, and an old Windows 98 Second Edition machine. All are still running well for the respective version of Windows installed.

BTW Vista is Windows 6 and Windows 7 is officially verson 6.1.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	win-version.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	74996  
    Last edited by Soquili; 31 July 2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Added png attachment.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by ss-kalm View Post
    Not necessarily ... My answer remains as it was then. The XP still isn't broken. Absolutely no plans to fix it. The only thing that will make me change the OS is if I buy new hardware that comes with a new OS. I've never yet bought a standalone OS ... because of the extortionate cost ... why should I pay almost the same cost as a new system (complete with OS) for the OS on its own. It's never seemed worth that cost to me, especially since that would also mean upgrading a whole slew of software that the new OS doesn't support.

We run a $3000 CAD system .... Not expensive as CAD goes, but when Microsoft released XP SP3, they broke the functionality of printing from that CAD system. Their response was "Contact the CAD manufacturer". The CAD manufacturers response was "Upgrade to the newest version of the CAD system - that works fine with SP3!" The upgrade was $700 per seat!!!!!

Now call me old fashioned if you like, but to my mind the OS is just something that allows you to easily access your "main" programmes. As far as I am concerned, there should NEVER be a case where a OS upgrade stops the "main" programmes from running ... ever ... period.
    The degree to which XP is *not* broken is precisely why I'm saying that the poll must be reset. By now there are far more people under the thumb of opression of Vista desperately waiting for just about anything else. The more on Vista, the more you will have "planning to move to Windows 7".

This is a more time critical poll than most IMO.
    IP

There's no opression and Windows 7 is a very smooth experience. I went from XP to W7 and would not go back. XP is yesterdays technology and many people have already migrated to Win 7, so the poll is mostly obsolete at this stage.

If you like XP - great - stick with it. W7 is no Vista - thumbs up to M$ on this one.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    BTW Vista is Windows 6 and Windows 7 is officially verson 6.1.
    For entirely sensible reasons.
    IP

Doesn't really matter what it's called, it works well.
    IP