Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

View Poll Results: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Voters
416. This poll is closed
  • Yes

173 41.59%
  • No

195 46.88%
  • Don't know

48 11.54%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Are you planning to move to Windows 7?

Windows 7 Has Been Released to Manufacturing

IP

Have Xp on all pcs at work, but recently got new laptop with win7, wow this is quit something. Usually do not migrate to new windows operating systems until a year or so after release (gives them a chance to fix the bugs - kept win 98 till xp came around) but might do so at work soon, once we get drivers for our digital presses from the manufacturer.

Kash
    IP

YES

Using XP right now, but Seven is definately a step ahead in terms of features and ease of use.
    I like it almost as much as I dislike Vista.
    IP

Already have on my laptop....will go so on my desktop when I can purchase a copy of Win7....it's a very good OS from my perspective.
    Ed......:-)

All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.
    -Gandalf (from Lord of the Rings) - Xara s/w - Xara Designer Pro X11
    IP

Maybe after they get all the bugs out.

My last computer had Vista on it. After using it for about 15 minutes, I installed XP on it. Much better...

Lambert
    IP

Vista was like Windows Me if you know what I mean.
    Windows 7 seems to be more like Windows XP.
    I have yet to encounter any serious issue in it. It's rock stable for me as XP was.
    John.
    IP

Same here John I am now running it on 3 machines and never had a minutes worth of issues with it, but then again to be honest I was one of the lucky ones that never had any issues with Vista, touch wood and all that I have had a really positive experience with both os's.

I think the key with these newer os's is too really make sure your machine is truly capable of running them especially if you use memory hogging software on top.

ALso woth remembering is even some of the negative experiences people had with Vista cant truly be put on Microsofts doorstep, there was a hell of a lot of driver compatability issues that were not down to Microsoft, for some reason many of the worlds major manufacturers for things such as printers didn't see fit in making sure their driver packages were ready for the release of Vista even though most of them knew about platform changes some 3 years in advance.

People and companies in general seem a lot better prepared for Windows 7 as indeed Microsoft themselves it truly is a great OS and a pleasure to use

Chris
    IP

This poll might be better reset. The answers from May '09 would be radically different now. Back then, far more people were XP and not willing to move on, because the thing *works*.

Now, many people are Vista and begging to move on.
    IP

Quote Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
    This poll might be better reset. The answers from May '09 would be radically different now......
    Not necessarily ... My answer remains as it was then. The XP still isn't broken. Absolutely no plans to fix it. The only thing that will make me change the OS is if I buy new hardware that comes with a new OS. I've never yet bought a standalone OS ... because of the extortionate cost ... why should I pay almost the same cost as a new system (complete with OS) for the OS on its own. It's never seemed worth that cost to me, especially since that would also mean upgrading a whole slew of software that the new OS doesn't support.

We run a $3000 CAD system .... Not expensive as CAD goes, but when Microsoft released XP SP3, they broke the functionality of printing from that CAD system. Their response was "Contact the CAD manufacturer". The CAD manufacturers response was "Upgrade to the newest version of the CAD system - that works fine with SP3!" The upgrade was $700 per seat!!!!!

Now call me old fashioned if you like, but to my mind the OS is just something that allows you to easily access your "main" programmes. As far as I am concerned, there should NEVER be a case where a OS upgrade stops the "main" programmes from running ... ever ... period.
    Keith
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    There are 10 types of people in this world .... Those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    IP

Went from Vista to 7 64bit. Big improvement, but some things I still don't like about it. Xp to Vista was a step backward IMHO.

jim
    IP